surcharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjb308

Coming home from a concert on Hunter Mountain I was stopped for rolling through a stop sign. I know I stopped because it was a detour and I was checking my GPS to get directions. The officer said he would reduce it to obstructed plate. I subsequently contacted the court to see what the fine would be and was told I had to mail in the ticket and they would let me know. I live in NJ and decided to plead guilty and pay what I thought would be a minimal fine instead of driving all the way back to go to court. When the court sent me a letter,the fine was $57 and a surcharge of $93 for a total of $150 for a dirty plate coming out of a very muddy Hunter Mountain! Do I have any recourse? Why couldn't they give me this information prior to a plea?

The additional fee is a collection for administrative costs and is common. It seems at this point you have no recourse.
The good news here is that the moving violation was dropped and there will be no effect on your insurance.
The stop sign issue is moot at this point, but even if you made a complete stop but went over the limit line you could have been hit with that violation. Since you admit to being distracted with your GPS you probably don't really know for sure.... but at least that got dropped.
I rarely issue citations for the reason I stop someone. It is usually the additional things I find during the stop that result in citations or arrests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back