classified as mental patient, stripped of my gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

basilio

I'm a resident of Florida. I currently posses a concealed weapons permit for the state of Florida. My gun was taken from me after I made my purchase of $560.
I was told that the reason my gun was taken, is because when i was 11, I was in a psych ward for 3 weeks. When I was ELEVEN. I'm a disabled veteran.
I was given a weapon to defend my country. Now, I can't even defend myself.

I really need someones help. I don't know why a felon can get his gun back, I have to go through this.
Don't know where i can go. PLEASE HELP.

You need to determine whether the removal was based on a state law or a Federal law. Did you disclose this at the vendor?

I'm a resident of Florida. I currently posses a concealed weapons permit for the state of Florida. My gun was taken from me after I made my purchase of $560.
I was told that the reason my gun was taken, is because when i was 11, I was in a psych ward for 3 weeks. When I was ELEVEN. I'm a disabled veteran.

I really need someones help. I don't know why a felon can get his gun back, I have to go through this.

I suggest you speak with a local lawyer, or three or four.
Before you stress yourself, did you reveal the fact that you had at some point in your life been a patient at a mental health facility?

Let's review what FDLE says about buying a gun in sunny FL:

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/getdoc/70d071b8-8b18-4f8d-8269-8819c33054f4/FAQs2.aspx

These are disqualifiers in FL:

Non-Approval (N) – Possible reasons a non-approval will be issued during a background check:

Felony Conviction
Active felony or misdemeanor warrant
Illegal drug possession, current use, or a conviction of controlled substance within the past year
Active domestic violence or repeat violence injunction (Protection Order)
Adjudication withheld on a felony or domestic violence related charge and three (3) years have not elapsed since the completion date of any court provisions (For example: probation, community services, fines, etc.)
Adjudicated delinquent or received adjudication withheld as a juvenile for a felony charge and person is under the age of 24
Adjudicated mentally defective by a court of law, or involuntarily committed by a judge
Illegal alien status
Renounced United States Citizenship
Misdemeanor conviction related to domestic violence
Received a Dishonorable Discharge from the United States Military
Subject of a General Court Martial from the United States Military
Under 21 and attempting to purchase a handgun, or under 18 and attempting to purchase a long gun

There is no why this or that, as I'm a 30 year retired combat veteran myself.
Not every service member carries or possess a weapon after basic.
Sure, they periodically qualify.
If appears the issue with you stems from your in-patient status as a juvenile.
Again, speak with an attorney.
I no longer own guns.
I had an extensive collection at one time.
I gave them all away, with the exception of two old (but disabled - one 10 gauge, one 12 gauge) shotguns given to me by my dad. They were once owned by my great-great-grandfather.
Actually, my son has them at present.
I own them, but as I'm growing older, I'm gifting most of my possessions prior to my death to those I wish to have them.
Anyway, speak with a lawyer if you wish.
I don't see much give on this, especially if you failed to reveal the incident during your youth.

Jurisdiction / State: New Jersey

In which state were you attempting to purchase this gun?

In which state were you attempting to purchase this gun?

OP reports the entire episode occured in FL.
OP indicates he OWNED a gun and was issued a carry permit.
It seems the authorities visited OP and confiscated his weapon and permit.

OP indicates he is a Florida resident with a Florida permit, but New Jersey is marked for jurisdiction. It appears to me the FL resident was making a purchase in NJ.

Q8: How do I apply for a permit to carry a handgun?

A8: If you reside in New Jersey, you must apply with municipal police department where reside. If the municipality where you reside is serviced by the New Jersey State Police, you must apply at the station which covers your municipality. Out of state residents must apply to the New Jersey State Police station nearest to their geographic location. Armored car employees must apply with the New Jersey State Police, regardless of where they reside.

New Jersey does not have laws which allow individuals with valid permits to carry a handguns from other states to carry a handgun in New Jersey.
http://www.njsp.org/about/firearms-faqs.html

http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_ag2.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back