17yr old lives in Missouri, father in Indiana wants custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyfel

My child who is going to turn 17 in September lives in Missouri and I live in Indiana. My oldest child wants to live with me and so do I. Can I legally just take her to my state and have her live with me once she turns 17 or will this be a nasty court battle? I have 3 kids and they are all teenagers and they all live with their mother. I know she will not give me custody of any of them without being forced to. I have faithfully paid child support for several years now and have no arrest record or any legal troubles and do not do drugs. I don't see why I couldn't legally get her but we are trying to avoid huge court costs. I do, however, need a lawyer to get the divorce agreement amended with child support, visitation, etc. especially if I get custody of one of them. Please advise. Thank you.

Last edited:
The child does not get to choose where she lives until she is 18. Not 17, 18. If she is court ordered to live with her mother then she lives with her mother. It's not a court suggestion - it's a court order.

You may certainly file for custody but court will rule on what is in "best interest" of child. Not what he/she wants but what is best for child. Talk to an Attorney on what you need to do to pursue custody change.

Unless there has been a significant change in the child's circumstances, a court is likely to see the best interest of the child as being the status quo.

Why do you believe a court might change custody over to you if Mother is currently court ordered to have custody - her just wanting to live with you would not be a good reason. Is there another reason why you believe she should live with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back