child support past due

Status
Not open for further replies.

teeter65804

Okay, please read entirely before judging. my boyfriend is going to court for past due child support, $19,000 behind. It started years ago, judgement was for $300 a month, which was fine, but then he went to prison for 2 years, got out, and was revoked and went back to prison for another year. (None of this was for child support) he has requested information on how to get a modification for a few reasons. He wanted to go back to the time that he was incarcerated and have the monthly payment amounts changed, since child support is usually based upon what amount of money you are making, and he was not making any during incarceration. Another issue, he missed a child support court date within the past year and was arrested on a warrant forbthe failure to appear. I payed a $500 cash only bond, and he did appear at the following court date required to release the bond. The bind money was not released back to me and 8 was told that it was applied towards his child support payments. So, technically he payed towards his child support then, right? The 500, so how can he be taken to court for not paying anything for a year, if that 500 went towards it? There is a lot more about this, so dont judge please, I know and talk to both his sons mothers and get along with them just fine, so if you knew the dynamics, he is not a dead beat.

He can go to court and attempt to convince a judge that the amount should be modified.
Being in prison or jail never makes a difference to the collection authorities.
If he were in a coma for three years, maybe.
Very few people are successful in making that argument.
Nevertheless, he has the right to be heard before the court.
He can hire a lawyer, or you can assist him in hiring a lawyer.
A good lawyer can help ease the burden of back child support.
Its been my experience that the child support authorities are MORE ruthless than the IRS.
The child support authorities are only exceeded in their aggressive collection techniques by the college loan collectors.
Now you know what and who he is facing.
Bottom line, if he goes to court owing $10,000, its highly unlikely he'll come out owing $9,900.
Those people rarely bend, unless the person who is owed the support says supportive things.
Even then, the collection officials barely allow any reductions.

Good luck to you and your man.

Okay, please read entirely before judging. my boyfriend is going to court for past due child support, $19,000 behind. It started years ago, judgement was for $300 a month, which was fine, but then he went to prison for 2 years, got out, and was revoked and went back to prison for another year. (None of this was for child support) he has requested information on how to get a modification for a few reasons. He wanted to go back to the time that he was incarcerated and have the monthly payment amounts changed, since child support is usually based upon what amount of money you are making, and he was not making any during incarceration. Another issue, he missed a child support court date within the past year and was arrested on a warrant forbthe failure to appear. I payed a $500 cash only bond, and he did appear at the following court date required to release the bond. The bind money was not released back to me and 8 was told that it was applied towards his child support payments. So, technically he payed towards his child support then, right? The 500, so how can he be taken to court for not paying anything for a year, if that 500 went towards it? There is a lot more about this, so dont judge please, I know and talk to both his sons mothers and get along with them just fine, so if you knew the dynamics, he is not a dead beat.

I shall be very kind to write this, k?

No. His child support isn't going to be lowered based on a voluntary loss of income. To many, that's a simply frightful idea. The children didn't need to eat less food while he was incarcerated and I'm sure the tax-payers don't want to support someone else's children.

Even if he pays $500, that still leaves $18.k outstanding.

It's also far more likely that they'll give him a significantly harsher punishment as he is basically sticking his nose up to the court, and the courts aren't known to be cuddly towards people who do so.

Practical advice:

He's more than happy to not support the kids he has now. What does that mean? It means that he has no respect or even love towards his children. Add to that his criminal activities... he's going to do the same thing to you.
Get out now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back