Giving up my sole custody rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri

I live in Montgomery County Texas and this is the county where I was divorce and received full custody of both my children. I son is a full time student, lives with me full time, and turned 18 in January 2014. My daughter, 13 yrs. old, lives with her father full time, for school prepares, and now he is wanting me to pay him child support to him for my daughter. He receives a Social Security retirement and Social Security for her too. The checks come to my account, set up for her, and I have been mailing them to him and now he wants child support too. My question is...how do I give up my parental rights/custody so I will not have to pay him child support? Also, since my son is now 18 and a full time student, is his father responsible for paying child support for my son? My son Social Security, from his father, has stopped since he is now 18. I do realize that Social Security is Government/Federal Money and that sometime state and government are not the same. Please help me to understand what my options are.

***deleted your name to protect your privacy***

Last edited by a moderator:
The parent that is caring for the monor child is th one that should be receiving the social security payment for the child.

Social security no longer sends checks, they deposit the benefit directly into a savings or checking account.

This is the link to the SS website:

http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/yourchildren.htm

I suggest you discuss this with them, insofar as to who should be receiving the benefit.

If you are the primary conservator of the child, you are risking losing that ability.

In Texas, you could possibly sign away your visitation rights (smarter just NOT to exercise them), but your financial obligations can't be disposed of, even IF you were in PRISON. Your obligation would accrue, and you be farther behind when you got released.

That is simply how serious states take paying for the children you BRED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back