Reverse a full custody Order in a Divorce Decree

Status
Not open for further replies.

MABANKS

My ex-husband and I were going through a divorce in 2013, even in the midst of our disagreements I still allowed him to have vistiation (when he could because he is in the military) with our 2 children, because nevertheless he is still a good father. In May of 2013 he took my kids from me and returned to the military in El Paso,TX. The courts ordered him to return the kids and he refused. I was awarded temporary custody until the divorce was finalized. In, October of 2013, he still refused to return my kids because he wanted 6 month/ 6months custody from Dallas to El Paso. The judge did not like that idea and neither did I at the time because I was obviously mad at him for taking them without at least informing me. I was awarded full custody and he has an order of no contact with the children due to him not showing at court and the divorce was awarded in my favor. I traveled to El Paso to get my children and I have had them ever since. My question to you is, my ex is not a bad father, I know that. I told the courts that. But in the midst of his difiance, he lost. My kids ask for him and he ask for them, and I dont want to keep my children from their father. How can I reverse the order of custody to joint custody? What do I need to do?

I suggest you start by discussing this with a lawyer.
More than likely it can be undone, but now might be too soon.
See a lawyer, see what he or she advises.

You can have the children evaluated by a child psychiatrist.
The psychiatrist will advise that kids need dad, and are missing dad.
Dad will likely require a psychological evaluation, too.
But, it might be a year or two too early for the judge's mind to be changed, especially after a no contact order has been issued.

See a lawyer, the initial consultation is free of charge, and a local lawyer can advise if it's possible and how much time must elapse before it can be changed.

I'm not a lawyer, I just hate family court.
Parents do not always have to use the courts if they can actually act like adults.

The only person that can file a complaint against your husband is you.
If you want to allow him to visit, by all means allow him.

Do not change the order or the no contact.
I say this just case something goes wrong.
All you have to do is say that you thought it was best for the children and you really do feel that way.
Courts LOVE when parents do the right thing for children.

I would not send them to his home, invite him to yours.

FYI: I am a woman with a bat-poop-crazy ex-husband.
We fight like cats and dogs. We would killing each other and in that moment if our children needs something we would both stop to care for our child.
Then go back to fighting. We are crazy, but we always do what is right for our children.

I'm not a lawyer, I just hate family court.
Parents do not always have to use the courts if they can actually act like adults.

The only person that can file a complaint against your husband is you.
If you want to allow him to visit, by all means allow him.

Do not change the order or the no contact.
I say this just case something goes wrong.
All you have to do is say that you thought it was best for the children and you really do feel that way.
Courts LOVE when parents do the right thing for children.

I would not send them to his home, invite him to yours.

FYI: I am a woman with a bat-poop-crazy ex-husband.
We fight like cats and dogs. We would killing each other and in that moment if our children needs something we would both stop to care for our child.
Then go back to fighting. We are crazy, but we always do what is right for our children.

I agree with what you say, and it is always nice when parents can work things out without going to court. With that said, good advice was offered back in May and it is preferred that old post aren't resurrected from the dead.

Thanks for your input though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back