my girlfriend and her kids moving in with me

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelpg

My girlfriend and I are wanting to move in together. Her and her two girls age 9 and 4 are planning on moving to my house this summer. I was in prison on drug charges and was released almost a year and a half ago. Both of of the girls' fathers are threatening her to fight her for custody if she moves in with me. I live only 125 miles from where my girlfriend lives. Can they use my record against her? I was in prison for eight years, not one write up or loss of good time. And since being home I've gained split custody of my sons, have maintained a full time job at the same place since then. I've bought my own home and three vehicles. I don't use any alcohol or drugs or even smoke cigarettes. Please let me know what my girlfriend and I can do about this harassment.

Yes, Dad can absolutely file for custody.

What happens depends a lot on your crime.

They can "fight" her for custody - it would have to be done through the court system but that doesn't mean they will get it. You being in prison for drug charges "probably" would not be enough for them to get custody - they would have to prove it would be harmful for the kids to be with you.

You can hold for other replies.

Proserpina, your reply wasn't there yet when I started mine - that is why I said you can hold for other replies to the OP. We were typing at the same time but you got your reply off before me. Betty3

The Dads have the right to file to keep their children from moving 125 miles away from the current home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back