Grand Parents Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

concerned132

My grandchild has been living with my wife and I from the age of 4 months to 2 1/2 years old due to the mother asking us to care for the child because she had other small children in her home and it was stressful. Every 3 to 4 weeks we would take our grandchild to the mother to stay over for the weekend. We had no issues. On a few occasions, we would pick the child up after a weekend and noticed, a black eye and another time with a broken collarbone. We were told on both occasions the child fell out of the bed. Both times I took the child to the doctor. To make a long story short, child service got involved and at the end of their investigation, they took the child from us and placed permanently with the mother. As grandparents, we have no rights. The mother refuses to allow us to see our grandchild. What can we do?

There isn't much you can do if the child was placed with the Mother. As you noted, grandparents have no rights to the child.

My grandchild has been living with my wife and I from the age of 4 months to 2 1/2 years old due to the mother asking us to care for the child because she had other small children in her home and it was stressful. Every 3 to 4 weeks we would take our grandchild to the mother to stay over for the weekend. We had no issues. On a few occasions, we would pick the child up after a weekend and noticed, a black eye and another time with a broken collarbone. We were told on both occasions the child fell out of the bed. Both times I took the child to the doctor. To make a long story short, child service got involved and at the end of their investigation, they took the child from us and placed permanently with the mother. As grandparents, we have no rights. The mother refuses to allow us to see our grandchild. What can we do?

I'm going somewhere specific with this, okay?

What did CPS actually do? Did they find neglect or abuse present while you've had the children?

I don't know what you should do.
Only you and your wife can decide what either or both of you wish to do.
So far, common sense advice has been offered.

I'm an old man, and have no time, temperament, or patience to parent again.
I'm happy with my role, as is my wife, of a grandchild visiting us over a weekend, or perhaps a week during the summer.

Maybe you should reconsider being a grandparent, and allow parents to be parents.

You became a grandparent because you parented your child(ren) to adulthood successfully, CONGRATULATIONS are in order for doing that!

Finally, you can always consult a local attorney, discuss your issue with him or her, and receive specific legal advice designed only for you and your unique situation.

Good luck.

(Off topic - AJ, you just made my day. That was a really cute post :) )

Thank you, Pro, just being honest and keeping it real! LOL
My wife chuckles about how much my grands love us, especially me.
You see, I have very firm, clear, and fair rules.
My sons and daughter don't understand how I get their kids to follow the rules.
That's when I remind them, they did!
At that point, they break out in laughter, and say, yes, dad.
My daughter says, yes, daddy.
Kids follow rules, and they like structure.
I love them to pieces, (my grands), each one is unique.
Some like riding horses at our ranch, and like herding cattle.
Some like hiking, or exploring.
A couple like sitting with gramps and hearing my tall tales.
They know where the food is, and they are free to help themselves.
They also know what not to touch.
When we're in the city, they like that house, too.
The only way we'd ever parent them full time is if something horrible happened to their parental units.
To each his own, and each in his own way.

Last edited:
We would bring the child to the mothers house on Friday's.. Whenever we picked the child up (Sunday's) from the mother's house, there was always something wrong with the child i.e black eye, broken clavicle bone... We would take the child to the doctors office. We had everything documented and reported and still, child services told us it was inconclusive. Now the mother doesn't want any dealings with us.

If CPS found inconclusive findings of abuse while with Mother & the Mother doesn't want you around the child, there isn't much you can do.

the only thing you can do-make nice with mom and hope she allows contact. she has 100 percent control who has contact with her child untill shes 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back