Assaulted at work not sure how to proceed

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyJonquille

My husband was attacked at work last week. One of his employees hit him in the face outside the building during an argument over a work related matter. His assistant branch manager and coordinator witness the scene. He was about to strike again when my husband shoved him to the wall to stop him. That is when the assistant branch manager asked the coordinator to call the police before he stepped out to separate the two of them. The coordinator never called the cops but my husband did. The police could not do anything when they arrived and advised him to go file a report at the nearest precinct which he did. He also called HR and Security right away. He was told to go home and will be contacted later. His manager never responded to his phone call for days. It has been 7 days since, they finally told him to report to another branch which is about 2hrs each way away from home. HR and his boss told him that he could have handled the situation differently if he was ready to be a manager therefore will be demoted. They are not yet sure what they will decide for him and we need some legal advice on how approach this situation. His court date is next week.

There is not a thing illegal about the employer having him report to another branch & to demote him.

If he has to go to court, he might want to contact a lawyer.

My husband was attacked at work last week. One of his employees hit him in the face outside the building during an argument over a work related matter. His assistant branch manager and coordinator witness the scene. He was about to strike again when my husband shoved him to the wall to stop him. That is when the assistant branch manager asked the coordinator to call the police before he stepped out to separate the two of them. The coordinator never called the cops but my husband did. The police could not do anything when they arrived and advised him to go file a report at the nearest precinct which he did. He also called HR and Security right away. He was told to go home and will be contacted later. His manager never responded to his phone call for days. It has been 7 days since, they finally told him to report to another branch which is about 2hrs each way away from home. HR and his boss told him that he could have handled the situation differently if he was ready to be a manager therefore will be demoted. They are not yet sure what they will decide for him and we need some legal advice on how approach this situation. His court date is next week.

Your husband has much more to to address than a demotion and a transfer. He's facing CRIMINAL charges.

He should retain a lawyer, and speak about this ONLY to his lawyer.
He might also ask his attorney about a potential personal injury or other tort lawsuit that the other person COULD bring.

The advice given to him by HR is useful. It indicates that the company is not supportive of his version of these events.

This coud end up being costlier than either of you could imagine.
If you're a superior, you don't invoke physical force to address perceived employee transgressions.
Violence never solves anything. It often makes things worse.

He needs HIS own attorney, ASAP.

It would be entirely legal to fire your husband for getting involved in a physical altercation at work and not handling the situation professionally. Demoting and transferring him is also legal and quite generous considering.

As for the charges against him, a lawyer is going to be his best bet. He needs one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back