Custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishchieftan

My ex and I divorced in 2013 with no custody agreement in place other than a vague verbal agreement involving our 6 year old son. I since moved to New York she lives in Pennsylvania. The agreement was we would each have him for 2 weeks at a time she agreed to meet me halfway to drop him him off and pick him up. She never kept up that part of it. I took him home in December 2012 and because of my work and her inability I wasn't able to get him until February 2014. In between December and February i became increasingly bothered by the fact he wasn't in school among other things I was advised by a lawyer that since there was no legal custody agreement I could bring him to New York file for custody and put him in school which I did. Our court date is in April 2014 and I just received a letter in the mail from her lawyer that says he will file a motion for special relief in Pennsylvania so I'm wondering where I go from here?

Could you please clarify?

You had visitation in February and since then you have not returned him to Mom? Is Mom okay with this?

My ex and I divorced in 2013 with no custody agreement in place other than a vague verbal agreement involving our 6 year old son. I since moved to New York she lives in Pennsylvania. The agreement was we would each have him for 2 weeks at a time she agreed to meet me halfway to drop him him off and pick him up. She never kept up that part of it. I took him home in December 2012 and because of my work and her inability I wasn't able to get him until February 2014. In between December and February i became increasingly bothered by the fact he wasn't in school among other things I was advised by a lawyer that since there was no legal custody agreement I could bring him to New York file for custody and put him in school which I did. Our court date is in April 2014 and I just received a letter in the mail from her lawyer that says he will file a motion for special relief in Pennsylvania so I'm wondering where I go from here?

The motion for special relief is to make sure NY doesn't swipe jurisdiction of the case away from PA.

I suggest you immediately discuss this with your NY lawyer.

You'll also require a PA lawyer.

Your NY lawyer will explain it all in detail, and you can interact in real time to ask questions, and seek clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back