Unsafe Environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScaredMother

I have custody of my two Children. My ex husband has visitation rights. Recently he moved about an hour and a half away. Since he works later in the evening (he gets off at 8) he sends his mother in law to pick up the kids on Friday nights. His mother in law is an alcoholic. She had been clean and sober for over a year. This past Friday she showed up to pick up the kids and I noticed she wasn't able to walk well. She recently broke her back so I assumed her back was bothering her. When she got closer I realized she had been drinking. I could smell it on her. She was also slurring and almost fell down my stairs. She was crying hysterically. She was wasted! Of course, I refused to let her take the kids or drive herself home. (She had already driven an hour and a half like this!) After a little investigating I found out that she had been like this for three days. My ex husband was aware that she had "fallen off the wagon", but still sent her to pick up the kids. He said he had spoken to her that morning and she seemed "fine". Not only did he send her, knowing she might be drunk when she showed up, but he also sent her in a car that had a donut on it, that was almost flat, and as we all know, it's dangerous to drive long distances on a donut (especially one that is almost flat). When confronted with this, he says "It was a simple mistake. I didn't think she would be drunk". I disagree. I believe that, AT THE VERY LEAST, he should have called me and warned me that she hadn't been doing well and to ensure she wasn't drunk when she got here. She has been coming for so long and there are times when she doesn't get out of the car. The kids just go get in the car with her. If this had been one of those instances, who knows what might have happened!! Someone who cared for their children would not have put them in danger just because they were too lazy to drive to get their own children. This is not the first time he has put my children in a dangerous situation. Is there anything I can do about this? I do not believe he has my childrens' best interests at heart.

Will/Can the courts do something about him and his wife saying horrible things to, and in front of, my children about myself and my family? That is another issue we have been having

OP, I am not a lawyer, but rather a father facing similar bad things being told to the kids at their mother's place. I highly recommend the book "Divorce Poison" by Warshak for you to read. Also, get his movie documentary aimed at kids called "Welcome back Pluto." This will help you cope, handle, and recover from all the alienation going on the other household. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back