getting custody of infant sister?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrittanyX2

I'm 24 my live in boyfriend (of 5 years) 29 we have 2 children (1 and 4). My sister is 2. My father is a felon (multiple) her mother has an open case with cps one of the 5 children aren't living in their home because of the cps case. They fully live off the government. She had just went to jail for possession last month. I have recently found out they are both using herion. My dad is an ex user and I've seen markings on both of there arms. Her mother lost her license and but cont. To drive. I know they get high daily and have my sister around it.

Question is will this be enough for me to get custody full or temp?

I'm 24 my live in boyfriend (of 5 years) 29 we have 2 children (1 and 4). My sister is 2. My father is a felon (multiple) her mother has an open case with cps one of the 5 children aren't living in their home because of the cps case. They fully live off the government. She had just went to jail for possession last month. I have recently found out they are both using herion. My dad is an ex user and I've seen markings on both of there arms. Her mother lost her license and but cont. To drive. I know they get high daily and have my sister around it.

Question is will this be enough for me to get custody full or temp?

If things are so bad at your parents' house, have you contacted CPS?

If things are so bad at your parents' house, have you contacted CPS?

I have talked to one lawyer by phone all he pretty ugh told me was not to contact cps yet nor tell them what I am doing. Didnt sat much else. I don't have an actual appointment until the 27th; witch feels forever away. I just wanna know if I have a decent case to go against them.

It depends you say you know they are using but can you prove it. You need to prove they are not fit to care for children once you do that if you can you can proceed. CPS is no tin the business to split up families so its likely they could be put on as that has a goal to reunite them. This means "if" you were to get your sister it might only be until the parents show CPS and/or courts they are now ready to parent their child

Prove it? Would they be required to take a drug test? They have got 6500 dollars back from taxes (please don't ask me how because neither of them have worked in YEARS! ) and it's ALL gone where they are begging for money. And she just went to jail for possession. Only way of prove I k ow or see is a drug test?

Will her current open cps case not play a role in this either? I want them clean and t o give her a life she deserves and I know they aren't and think only way they will get clean for her and themselves is to take her away from them for awhile.

Last edited:
If her current CPS case is related to drugs, they'll run a drug test. A report should also be filed for the father.

In this cases, as hard as it can sound, you have to place the best interest of the child first.

Are they safe with their parents? If no, call CPS. Worry about legality later. Thd key is to get her to a safe place. In other words, when even foster care is a better option, call CPS.

Prove it? Would they be required to take a drug test? They have got 6500 dollars back from taxes (please don't ask me how because neither of them have worked in YEARS! ) and it's ALL gone where they are begging for money. And she just went to jail for possession. Only way of prove I k ow or see is a drug test?

In the state of Ohio, dropping dirty once is unlikely to have any long term consequences unless the child was directly harmed in the process.

The attorney you have spoken to has a legal responsibility to report suspected harm or neglect, and the fact that s/he hasn't done so tells that either the children are not deemed at risk, or you have spoken to an incredibly lousy attorney. Neither of these are good.

I'm being as gentle as I can here, okay?

You don't stand equal to the parents in court in terms of custody. Mon is equal to Dad. That's really all there is to as far as custody battles go. In terms of child placement, while they will try place the child with relatives is a realistic option, the State also has the option of placing with a foster parent...right up to point where they will give full custody to the foster parents right up to the point of adoption.

Which brings us all the way back to best interests and, if you're truly convinced, you need to be on the phone with child services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back