I'm a father seeking custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantherh7781

My children were removed from me by my ex wife in 2012 because I filed for a divorce. She was living with her mother at the time. Our children were also living with them. She cost my ex mother-in-law and her husband lots of money and drained them dry. They made her leave the house and agreed to take care of the kids for 6 months. The kids have been living with the maternal grandparents since May 2013 and they have sought custody They turned on me. My ex wife admitted to living a dangerous lifestyle with drugs and violence. I need some help because I have been told by my 3 children that they "hit" them and "scream" at them all day when they are home. I need my babies here with me. I have had a DWI in the past. Also, My ex wife filed charges on me and saying that I assaulted her. I have never assaulted her. Ever. She went to court and said that she was not truthful in saying that I assaulted her. So she signed an affidavit of Non-Prosecution and the charges were dismissed and all events that happened with this case were expunged. I also used to take medications for pain and anxiety. Since then I have changed my life for the better. I reinvented myself as a person and as a father. I passed the drug tests that go back to nearly 5 months. Fingernail test. Everything was negative. I have changed my life completely and my kids keep asking me when they can come see me. As of right now, the ex mother-in-law requested temporary orders and supervised visitation only. The kids are completely safe with me and they are suffering emotional agony because I only see them for 2 hours per week on Sunday. That isn't nearly enough. We need each other. Please Help Me. Thank you!

You need to hire a lawyer.
You can't do this without one.
We don't take on clients here.
We answer simple legal questions.
So, look around your county and talk to a few family law attorneys.
The first visit is often at no cost.
Interview a few, then hire one.
Forget all the insanity that may have occurred in the past between you and your former spouse.
Focus ONLY on why you are a great dad.
No need to hash up anything you're not proud of, either.
Your enemies will do a great job at that crap, you focus on why you're a great dad.
Tell your story of success, don't discuss or mention failure, it's irrelevant.
The court will want to hear others say what a great guy you are, hard worker, good citizen, and what a wonderful dad you are.
So, get six to ten people lined up who'll come to court and talk about you in a positive way.
Whatever you do, always stay positive.
Good luck.​

What is your current custody agreement? Do you have a court order preventing you access to the kids? Can you visit them at school? Perhaps you can rearrange your schedule to either have breakfast/lunch with the children at school and/or volunteer at school. This will give you several quality hours with the children. If they are too young for school, do they go to daycare? If so, you can also approach that angle. Go read a book to the kids classroom. Find legal ways around the system to show you are an involved parent.

I agree with army judge though, you have to hire a competent attorney and you have to do it now. The longer you wait, the more status-quo the grandparents will get as primary care givers.

Another way to build your case as a good parent is taking parenting classes, first aid classes, etc. Do things to show you are more than capable to take the primary custodian (parent) role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back