Car title

Status
Not open for further replies.

DT24

I have a car that me and my ex bought, she got it and I became co-owner/ co-signer, we since then divorced and she got remarried and lives in guam, I have the car, but now I can't register/sell/trade or anything to the car because she is on the registration as well as me, she won't answer me, and now my plates are about to expire, what do I do because the loan company will not change the loan even though she left and now I am the one making all the payments?

Your registration problem is entirely separate from your loan.
Normally this sort of thing is settled during the divorce. Is it addressed anywhere in divorce documents?
You should have no trouble renewing registration. Your only difficulties would be selling the vehicle, or otherwise removing her name from the title.

no it was a simplified divorce uncontested and, the problem I am running into is I am military and had a non-resident plate for Florida, now stationed in VA they won't let me register it without her signature, I don't want to sell it or trade it just want to register it

no it was a simplified divorce uncontested and, the problem I am running into is I am military and had a non-resident plate for Florida, now stationed in VA they won't let me register it without her signature, I don't want to sell it or trade it just want to register it

You can offer her $500, may be $1,000 to sign off the title.

She signs, you pay her.

She might not trust you, and you might have to hire a lawyer to act as a middle man.

If that doesn't work, and she won't respond, you'll have to discuss this with the lien holder.

I have seen lien holders allow such a change, if you offered to pay the entire loan off.

You can't force her to respond.

But, money offered to her might make decide to help you out.

She doesn't care, you do.

If she continues to ignore you, sorry to say, you're screwed.

Why?

Because if you don't make the payments, the military will jump all over your backside, and it'll mess up your credit.

You might want to speak with a lawyer (in the state you were divorced) and see if the divorce can be amended to address the car issue. That might be your bets shot. But, it'll cost about $500 to $1,000, maybe $1,500. Florida lawyers aren't cheap.

Last edited:
I suggest you work with your lender to have them do a voluntary repo after you are one day late on a payment. After they obtain clear title, refinance it with them. You will be assessed the fees associated with processing the repo so taking the car to their auction site etc, will save you some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back