parental rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

DianaS

Ok so here is my question, we have been divorced for almost 7 years and my ex has not paid a dime of child support, he now owes me $56,000 in child support but he is has been a druggy I don't want any of his money as long as he leaves us alone, he wants to give up his parental rights but I don't know how to start that process without having to pay a lawyer, money that I don't have :( where , how do I go to do this ? Do I just go to the court?

There's one very, very important question here.

Have you ever been on State aid?

If you have, how long ago and for how long?

What's your current earning potential?

Oh, I don't know...I'll take a random guess ;)

OP may be wary of Dad wanting to come back and be full time Dad in a year or two.

Flabbergasted, just flabbergasted.

That said, one can shed their parental rights, its not easy; but it sometimes does happen.

However, when a person finds out they can abdicate their parental rights, but they still are stuck with back child support, well they begin to have second thoughts.

I've found when the dog ain't barking, or the baby ain't crying, leave him or her be.

By bringing up one thing, it always opens other things.

If the deadbeat comes creeping around, that's when you address the situation.

Finally, its always best for the deadbeat to ask about abdication parental responsibility, to potentially eliminate back debts.

The problem is, the government always wants to (and always does) get paid.

So, most of these deals fall through.

Forget about this notion. It looks like you have learned how to cope without him. Continue the status-quo and raise your child as you deem fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back