releasing mental health records

Status
Not open for further replies.

semperfi

Hello, per my court order. I have full sole legal custody of my 10 year old daughter. The father has had no visitation in 10 years, he has not had anything to do with our child, ever. Recently, I was told that the father signed a medical release form for disclosure of our daughters mental health records to an attorney in a custody case concerning my 3 year old son, whom he has no relation to.

The only thing our order says is that he has the right to view her records at any time. It does not say he can disclose them. The release form stated it was for release to not himself but the name of the attorney representing the other side in my case.

The father also tried to get me to drop the 18,000 in arrears he is in for child support in exchange for him filling out a form to stop the release...

IN a nut shell the entity DID disclose our daughters mental health assessment to the attorney without my consent. I have full sole legal custody! What good is it if they still disclosed the information?? Is anyone in trouble here?

Thank you!!

Even if you have sole legal custody, he's still allowed to access his child's medical records (and sign a release) unless your decree specifically prohibits him from doing so.

Is it a dirty trick the attorney pulled? Sure. But is it illegal? No. The records were obtained legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back