Custody of niece

Status
Not open for further replies.

browneyegirl

My niece is currently seven years old and lives with me (her aunt) since she was one. My brother is the father and visits with her occasionally but does not provide any financial help. He can not take care of her because he is mentally unstable. I have not seen or have had contact with her mother the entire time that I have had my niece in my care. Her mother is a drug addict and has other children that are not in her custody due to her drug use. My question is if I can adopt her or do I have to get guardianship only. Currently my brother and I have a notarized paper giving me guardianship. I would like to have a more formal arrangement through the court system and would love to adopt her. I am married with three children, own a home, and I have worked with the same company for nine years.

My niece is currently seven years old and lives with me (her aunt) since she was one. My brother is the father and visits with her occasionally but does not provide any financial help. He can not take care of her because he is mentally unstable. I have not seen or have had contact with her mother the entire time that I have had my niece in my care. Her mother is a drug addict and has other children that are not in her custody due to her drug use. My question is if I can adopt her or do I have to get guardianship only. Currently my brother and I have a notarized paper giving me guardianship. I would like to have a more formal arrangement through the court system and would love to adopt her. I am married with three children, own a home, and I have worked with the same company for nine years.

The notarized document you're holding has no legal significance.

I suggest you discuss this with an attorney.

You can't just trade or collect children like people do cats or dogs.

You need to discuss the "arrangement" with an attorney.

If I were you, I'd meet with a lawyer tomorrow, if not sooner.

I know you're simply trying to help, but all you're doing is assisting your brother and the female in abandoning and neglecting their child.

You don't have legal custody, you are simply "babysitting", and you've been doing it for SEVEN years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back