What are my legal options for going home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpmegohome

My mom made me move across the country (for the second time in my life). I'm living with my Aunt and Uncle by force. My dad lives in California and refuses to let me live with him. I call my mom daily and beg to come home but she wont let me. I have no job so I can't get emancipated but I have to go home this is causing me great emotional stress and I need to go back to my home in Virginia. What are my options???

Not a whole heck of a lot, to be honest. You live with whoever your parent/s say you live with.

(The chances of you being emancipated in WA are around 5% if you live in King or Pierce County, to about 1% if you live elsewhere. That's if you qualified to start with)

My mom made me move across the country (for the second time in my life). I'm living with my Aunt and Uncle by force. My dad lives in California and refuses to let me live with him. I call my mom daily and beg to come home but she wont let me. I have no job so I can't get emancipated but I have to go home this is causing me great emotional stress and I need to go back to my home in Virginia. What are my options???

Okay, let's take this step by step.

How old are you?
On what date will you turn 18 years old?
Are you enrolled in school?
Are you progressing in school?
When will you complete high school?
Are you living in WASHINGTON STATE with your aunt & uncle?
Is that mom's sister or brother by birth?
You desire to live in VA, right?
Do you have any police problems pending, or in the past? (Elaborate, if yes.)

Okay, when you answer, I respond.

Also, why will your Mom not let you come home (& why did she send you away to aunt & uncle) - were there problems between you & Mom?

Why is the move causing you great emotional stress?

Do your aunt and/or uncle abuse you in any way? Thanks.

The very MINUTE you turn 18, you can live anywhere you want to.

Until then, you live where your mother says you live.

I'm 16
I won't be 18 until I've already started college
I'm in school and not progressing because my new schedule here is a lot simpler
I'll complete school in a year and a half
I'm in WA state w my aunt and uncle, yes.
Mom's sister by birth
I want to live in va where my mom is but i have somewhere else I can live.
Never been in trouble with the law.

I dont know if it matters but my aunt and uncle think i should be with them to escape my mom, my mom thinks I should because Virginia was "bad" for me.

This doesn't change anything. You live where your parents say until you are 18.

Quite frankly, the ONLY option you have is if Mom gives you permission to move. You do not qualify for emancipation; there are no laws that grant you the right to live where you want to live instead of where your parent or legal guardian says you live. Your aunt's and uncle's opinions are legally meaningless. As long as you are a minor and under her custody, the only one who gets a vote is Mom.

I'm 16
I won't be 18 until I've already started college
I'm in school and not progressing because my new schedule here is a lot simpler
I'll complete school in a year and a half
I'm in WA state w my aunt and uncle, yes.
Mom's sister by birth
I want to live in va where my mom is but i have somewhere else I can live.
Never been in trouble with the law.

I dont know if it matters but my aunt and uncle think i should be with them to escape my mom, my mom thinks I should because Virginia was "bad" for me.

Thank you, "helpmegohome".

Okay, let's get the good stuff out of our of the way.
Actually, what I'm revealing to you is ALL good stuff.

You are 16 years old, and residing in beautiful Washington State.

You need to begin acquainting yourself with the LAW.

So, start with Washington's school attendance laws (Becca Bill is what they call it in WA):

https://k12.wa.us/GATE/Truancy/default.aspx

Exceptions to mandatory school attendance for those between age 8 to 17:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=28A.225.010

HINT: You could pursue a GED. That could be obtained at (or through) most any community college (or other drop out prevention programs).
You don't need a GED to get admitted to a community college. You also don't need to take the SAT or ACT tests.
Community Colleges are great for peopel that feel UNCHALLENGED in the high school setting.
Plus, most people that get admitted at age 16, usually have an AA or AS degree by the age of majority.
All credits earned (above level 100) transfer to all accredited colleges and universities, and state schools admit community college graduates without issue as juniors in most states.

This is Highline Community College's website (they're in Des Moines) for example only:

http://www.highline.edu/

Admissions for Highline:

http://admissions.highline.edu/

Okay, lots to discover there, "helpmegohome".

Now, here's where it gets better.
VA has the similar opportunities.
You could discuss the changes you want to make (getting into CC now, and graduating by age 18) with mom.
You can convince mom to allow you to return to VA, agree to her terms, and keep yourself on an upward path.
In the meantime, get busy with the GED and/or CC admission in WA.
Stop wasting time, pining about things, make changes, improve yourself, YOUR life is what YOU make it.
Two years, or less than 23 months is nothing.
But, use that 23, 22, 21 whatever months wisely; and you'll have a degree and be ready to enter a four year college.

Oh, it gets better, my new friend in VA.

Open Admissions Policy in VA

Anyone who is at least 18 years or older may apply and register for classes.
Anyone who is under 18 years old must have a diploma, GED or take placement tests to register for classes.
PVCC has full-time or part-time options.
Full Time = 12 or more credit hours
Part Time = fewer than 12 credit hours
You see what I'm saying, you could be admitted to college automatically in VA.

Talk toy our aunt and uncle, explain to them what you wnat to do and why (not just return to VA because my friends are there, my sweet lover man or sweet lover woman live sthere, they got cooler peeps there, dudes, etc....

The BIGGEST reason is that you could enroll IMMEDIATELY in VA's Community College System, receive a degree (AA or AS) by the time you reach age 18.

WA makes doing that MUCH tougher. But, its possible in BOTH states.

Okay, "helpmegohome", I've shown you the WAY to go home.

Now, go eduate and inform yourself, create your case for WHY VA is better for me that WA, and come back as "Ihelpedmyselfgohome".

AJ, While you are correct that most community colleges do not require a GED or Diploma to register, I have never seen a case where it isn't needed before one graduates. So one in theory could begin classes without it, but they will need to have proof that they have it before the degree can be received.

AJ, While you are correct that most community colleges do not require a GED or Diploma to register, I have never seen a case where it isn't needed before one graduates. So one in theory could begin classes without it, but they will need to have proof that they have it before the degree can be received.

It isn't theory, it's fact.

You CAN, and I know people who have graduated from community colleges and never obtained a GED.

Community colleges are the greatest thing that governments ever did for the USA and its people.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but every community college I know of in Virginia will not let a student graduate without it. I lived in Virginia for over 20 years and have never seen it happen but obviously if you know people who did it, it does happen. The OP will just need to find out with the exact CC she would want to attend if its a route she/he would want to go.

I could be wrong, but every community college I know of in Virginia will not let a student graduate without it. I lived in Virginia for over 20 years and have never seen it happen but obviously if you know people who did it, it does happen. The OP will just need to find out with the exact CC she would want to attend if its a route she/he would want to go.

The major point I was trying to impart to the young person is just to enroll in any school.

Once a person gets actively involved, enrolled, and engaged in education; they are on a trajectory for success.

There may be specific things required AFTER they enroll, but nothing impedes anyone from trying to improve themselves, except their own bad habits, laziness, and refusal to take the first step.

Success can be as addictive as any illicit drug.

But, you first must get yourself hooked by starting that success trajectory.

As with any of us having been faced with an impediment in life, we just need someone to get us started on success.

Get hooked on phonics, get hooked on life, get hooked on success; but you gotta start somewhere, and seeking an education or training starts with you making the first move.

I hope this kid gets it and starts down the road to happiness, success, and has a great life!

The bottom line, here, though, is that there is no law the minor child can invoke that will force her parents to let her move to where she wants to live.

The bottom line, here, though, is that there is no law the minor child can invoke that will force her parents to let her move to where she wants to live.

There certainly is no law that allows ANY child to dictate their desires to the parental units.

That is why I suggested the minor discuss this matter with the applicable adults in his or her life.

There is something bigger than any of us can assist with in this situation, and I don't think it'll end well for any of these people.

That said, I wish them all well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back