custody modification scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

frustrated2013

My boyfriend currently has a custody and support order in place. We just had a child and he will be requesting modification of support due to a financial hardship. We have decided that he stay home, instead of work, to take care of our newborn. This will mean he becomes unemployed and without medical and dental benefits for his other daughter. If I choose to cover him and his daughter under my insurance and lets DCSS know this information, can or will custody be taken away from him due to the fact that he has no income? Also, will DCSS request that child support be paid by me if I'm the supporter of him and his daughter?

Given that he'll be voluntarily unemployed, he should expect his child support obligation to stay the same. Financial hardship is something to consider before having another child - not after.

DCSS cannot make you responsible for his obligation. But DCSS won't give him a break, either. His choice is to keep paying his child support, or let the arrears rack up and look forward to garnishment, tax refund interception, loss of licence/s and eventually jail.

My boyfriend currently has a custody and support order in place. We just had a child and he will be requesting modification of support due to a financial hardship. We have decided that he stay home, instead of work, to take care of our newborn. This will mean he becomes unemployed and without medical and dental benefits for his other daughter. If I choose to cover him and his daughter under my insurance and lets DCSS know this information, can or will custody be taken away from him due to the fact that he has no income? Also, will DCSS request that child support be paid by me if I'm the supporter of him and his daughter?

What happens when he decides to move on to another flavor of the week, month, or quarter?

Why would you want to have a child with a man who is UNABLE to support the child he already has?

What makes you think your employer will permit you to enroll an UNRELATED child onto your health and dental plan?

It is TOO late for you to reconsider bearing the child of a deadbeat sperm donor.

But, it isn't TOO late for him to get a job and honor his obligations and court ordered support.

The sad thing is that he won't be able to support the child you just had.

As Proserpina so ably told you, his child support obligation will continue to accrue, and eventually he could end up in jail for not paying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back