starting a business

Status
Not open for further replies.

secondtolast

Hi,
Im starting a business(just myself), so my question is what do I need to be legal. Im going to start a web hosting/design company. Is just getting a DBA enough, or do I have to file for a Sole Proprietor liceanse. Im in PA, if it helps any. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I would say that if you are seeking to do a decent amount of business and a lot of it contracting, you may want to incorporate as an "s" corporation. I believe that PA law allows you to do so (you may not be able to form other forms of limited liability corporations, e.g. LLC, but an "Inc" should be fine). It will limit some liability in important areas (e.g. if your business fails in a general manner) and you won't have to pay double taxation like in regular corporations. May cost you a few hundred dollars to set up and a few bucks to pay corporate franchise tax (usually under $100 for a corporation your size) but I think it is well worth it. While you can do it yourself, it is usually easier for those who do this as a business to do it for you. We incorporate businesses at TheLaw.com and there are many other reputable attorneys and companies that do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back