assaulted by coworker on the job

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnG

Banned
I'm a nurse and work at a local hospital. A couple of days ago a coworker assaulted me in a patient's bathroom because she overheard me talking to another nurse about a bizarre incident that occurred with the coworker. I can explain if necessary but essentially, the other nurse and I were whispering and she burst in and began threatening to harm me, pointing her finger in my face and slapping it away when I raised my hand to protect my eyes, grabbing me by the arm and forcing me against the wall where I was trapped. She continually said "just give me a reason to kick your ass, go on and touch me so I can kick your ass" and the like. I was only able to stand there and wait for her to stop because if I tried to defend myself or even get past her to escape, she would have pummeled me, per her threats. I know she was trying to get me to touch her so she could have "grounds" to hit me and I felt fairly sure she wouldn't hit me but of course I was scared out of my mind and felt like an animal was about to attack. I was imagining horrible things she might do and two days later, I am still feeling freaked out, and panicked at the idea of working with her. I had the first anxiety attack of my life last night and had to call off work for today because I am filled with fear.
Our supervisor said we needed to learn to get along and recommended sensitivity training, lumping me into the category with her which I felt was obscene and I became hysterical realizing that I was on my own, hearing words that included me in this deplorable situation that I had no control over. We need to get along?? She asked us if we could go back to work and be professional with one another. The coworker was not asked to leave. I was asked if I wanted her to leave, and I said no because at that time immediately after this event, it hadn't hit me yet (adrenaline?) and I felt like that would be melodramatic. It was later that the anxiety and fear occurred.
The things I was discussing with the other nurse were not offensive or gossipy, and as a matter of fact she saw us rather than heard us and became enraged. This coworker has always been paranoid about being talked about (which is why we were hiding in the bathroom) and very defensive in even the most benign situations. I have always walked on eggshells where she is concerned. I was not terribly surprised at this event, but I was surprised at the degree of her rage for something relatively minor. I don't feel comfortable that she will not do this again after seeing that, and I do not feel safe at work. I missed work today because she is there, and I feel my supervisor should have had her stay home to allow me to work in safety.
Today will be a meeting with management and my hope is that she will be dismissed. If she isn't, I want to know what recourse I have. I have been with this company for over 10 years and I don't want to leave, tail between my legs, because of a bully.
Addendum: I was just notified by the my supervisor and my president that both the coworker and I are suspended for three days pending investigation. I feel like now I should have legal support. Please help, any information would be appreciated.

I suggest you meet with HR and/or hospital management as indicated.

You should have called the police when it happened.

Your recourse now probably left the building three days ago!

This will likely be handled most effectively by the employer. Suspension of both parties is not unusual.
If you want to go further you can speak with the police about a report for assault/battery, but if you have no visible injuries and there were no witnesses that won't go far.
In your case, if the person you were initially speaking with witnessed the incident and supports your story then you should come out of it ok.
I suggest you do not talk with her and try to persuade her "get your story straight" as the management may find that interference a good reason to terminate you.

I suggest you stop sneaking off to the bathroom to talk about her. As your employer noted, it is insensitive. You are at work, not on Facebook.

I suggest you stop sneaking off to the bathroom to talk about her. As your employer noted, it is insensitive. You are at work, not on Facebook.

That's true, I am not on Facebook and had you not pointed that out I may not have remembered, based on your demeanor.
The nurse I was speaking to is a superior who had also witnessed the strange behavior that occurred just before the assault. Because the charge nurse was unavailable, this nurse was the top of the food chain. I felt something was very off kilter with my coworker and was following chain of command the best I could. Because we were the only two nurses on the floor and we were unable to leave the unit, a two minute conversation in a bathroom didn't seem
as inappropriate as leaving ten patients unattended. My supervisor only came in later due to this incident.
Another thing, this coworker is difficult to say the least. I've tiptoed around her for a year and go out of my way to be kind to her. If I forget to say "good morning" she later picks a fight with me. And yes, management knows this. I stifle so much with her and shake off her constant passive aggressive comments as they come. With this exception, I do not talk to others about her.

Last edited:
That's true, I am not on Facebook and had you not pointed that out I may not have remembered, based on your demeanor.
The nurse I was speaking to is a superior who had also witnessed the strange behavior that occurred just before the assault. Because the charge nurse was unavailable, this nurse was the top of the food chain. I felt something was very off kilter with my coworker and was following chain of command the best I could. Because we were the only two nurses on the floor and we were unable to leave the unit, a two minute conversation in a bathroom didn't seem
as inappropriate as leaving ten patients unattended. My supervisor only came in later due to this incident.
Another thing, this coworker is difficult to say the least. I've tiptoed around her for a year and go out of my way to be kind to her. If I forget to say "good morning" she later picks a fight with me. And yes, management knows this. I stifle so much with her and shake off her constant passive aggressive comments as they come. With this exception, I do not talk to others about her.

Please, don't argue with other posters, make catty comments, be snotty, or chastise anyone.
Now, I'm going to sanction you for NOT behaving yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back