Name, location, IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

vh2k

I recently found my full name, general location and my computer's IP address posted on a website which I had been a paid member of some time ago. Is it legal for them to have this information posted? PM me if you require more information.

On its face, there is no law against it. It depends on the circumstances if it could be unlawful. The first thing to ask would be if you had any damage because of it.

The other question is, how would I find out? Clearly my name has been dragged through the mud on this site and should I ever decide to run for public office which is an ambition someday I may find that there have indeed been damages.

You are out of luck there. The law has no remedy for future damages that might or might not materialize and that cannot even be estimated as to their amount.

vh_2k said:
I recently found my full name, general location and my computer's IP address posted on a website which I had been a paid member of some time ago. Is it legal for them to have this information posted? PM me if you require more information.
Much of this information is readily available, public information. You may not know this but a dossier of information about you likely appears in several large data warehouses, all of it taken from various sources such as subscriptions you didn't realize contained agreements to sell your data, phone books, etc. It's scary how much information is available to those who know how to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back