Can the Housing Authority be sued?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowbird

I want to know if my Housing Authority can be sued and if so, how do I go about doing it?

I have a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher. Before this voucher was issued to me, I was 6 months behind in my rent to my present landlord and at present paying this debt off.

The housing authority says I cannot move until this pre-section 8 debt is paid in full. I have checked with the HUD office in DC and they tell me that I don't need to pay this to be able to move, because this debt existed prior to my taking of the Section 8 voucher and in addition because it was not included in my section 8 lease to be paid back as part of the section 8 lease agreement.

What I have here is the Director of the housing authority and the rental agent conspiring with my landlord to keep me here to pay off this non-section 8 debt, under the guise that this is part of my section 8 responsibility.

If anyone can direct me on what steps to take to file a lawsuit, it would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

snowbird said:
I want to know if my Housing Authority can be sued and if so, how do I go about doing it?

I have a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher. Before this voucher was issued to me, I was 6 months behind in my rent to my present landlord and at present paying this debt off.

The housing authority says I cannot move until this pre-section 8 debt is paid in full. I have checked with the HUD office in DC and they tell me that I don't need to pay this to be able to move, because this debt existed prior to my taking of the Section 8 voucher and in addition because it was not included in my section 8 lease to be paid back as part of the section 8 lease agreement.

What I have here is the Director of the housing authority and the rental agent conspiring with my landlord to keep me here to pay off this non-section 8 debt, under the guise that this is part of my section 8 responsibility.

If anyone can direct me on what steps to take to file a lawsuit, it would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
Honestly, how much are you expecting to win? What are your "damages" in this case? How do you arrive at them? Just because you suspect this kind of conduct is going on doesn't mean you are entitled to a windfall. You may be better served moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back