custody battle, father vs grandmother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

My wife passed away, I was in prison and her mother got guardianship of my 3 children the past 2 yrs. Beforehand I was a single father. I'm off parole in 3 mo.and she is holding my kids against their will. Not letting them come with me. If I hire a lawyer do have a chance to get them back from grandmother? Who's rights are stronger?

My wife passed away, I was in prison and her mother got guardianship of my 3 children the past 2 yrs. Beforehand I was a single father. I'm off parole in 3 mo.and she is holding my kids against their will. Not letting them come with me. If I hire a lawyer do have a chance to get them back from grandmother? Who's rights are stronger?

I suggest you speak with a lawyer or two. They can better advise you. Generally, a father would have stronger standing than a grandparent, but there are certain exigencies that could intervene.

Grandmother does have guardianship. However, I would think you should "at least" get visitation. Talk to a lawyer.

One of the responders who knows more about family law may come along with some additional information for you. You "might" be able to get them back since you are the father unless grandmother can prove you're unfit.

How old are the children?

There's a reason I'm asking. And are there any visitation provisions in place?

The guardianship was through the courts, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back