Suing auto repair shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorena

I'm living in GA. My car had an oil change at this auto repair shop on Sat. When I arrived home (13 mi from the shop), I noticed the oil was leaking a little. It was late evening so I couldn't take the car back and they were closed on Sunday. So I waited until Monday to take the car back to that repair shop to check if there is a problem. While I was driving half-way there, I heard some popping sound, like something is loosened or cracked, and I smelled smoke in the engine. So I stopped and called towing service. As I noticed more oil leaked from my car, I took the pictures of the road and the oil spill. When the towing truck arrived at the repair shop and dropped my car, more oil leaked and spilled on that truck (I took pictures as well). When we arrived to the shop, they found the oil cap went missing, and the oil was totally gone, and oil spill all over the car wheels and engine. So I asked them to pay for the towing service, and replace new oil and the caps. They refused to do so and charged me with new oil change and the replacement of oil cap ($30). Some of the mechanics there said the oil caps may fall on its own. However, I contacted the car maker, they said it's impossible that the oil caps on my car fall out if it's tightened after oil change. and It's impossible for us to loose that oil caps in the bottom of the car if we don't have a car lifter. the towing service costs us $100. Can I sue the business? I know the amount is very small. However, car with oil leaking or missing oil caps can be very dangerous, according to many mechanics that I asked, it can break the car engine. As of now, the car seems to have no problem after the oil change AGAIN, but who knows that may cause any problem to my car engine in the future. and with the towing service and time spent at the repair shop have made me lose some business and I couldn't work and drive anywhere on sunday since I noticed the oil started leaking. Can I sue them for any further benefits (can you give me suggestions? Which evidences do I need to present to judge if I decide to sue them? I do keep all the receipts, we had police reports at the scene. thank you.

Yes, you can bring a small claims lawsuit. If you prevail, you'll have to try and collect on your judgment.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

You can try suing them in small claims court for what money you had to put out over the original oil change. You need to take all paper work that you have. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back