How do I file a foreign judgment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janet_Kennedy

How do I file a foreign judgment in King County, Washington? I have been able to find a "Declaration of Foreign Judgment" form, but don't know if this is the right form ... whether I should be filing other things with it or ... where to send it once complete. The clerk's office will not give me any information. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Janet Kennedy said:
How do I file a foreign judgment in King County, Washington? I have been able to find a "Declaration of Foreign Judgment" form, but don't know if this is the right form ... whether I should be filing other things with it or ... where to send it once complete. The clerk's office will not give me any information. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!
This is a fun exercise. There are legal forms to use to file a foreign judgment within your state. From my understanding the process is different if you are filing for a default judgment, which may also require a hearing. I'm shocked that the clerk's office won't point you at least in the right direction. I'll see what we can do to put up some information about this process but why don't you remind me and make a request in the forms area.

I remember doing this in New York many years ago, regarding a default judgment in Michigan. I can't remember the details but remember needing to send notice to the defendant and we ended up in court, adjudicating the matter. We won a rare decision that was several times the amount of the dispute -- a real shocker since the courts are loathe to do this. We had to really show the court that if companies have no defense and just blow off consumers whose money they keep, it will never pay for defendants to file suit and try to collect monies wrongfully taken from them. The moral of the story is keep all your expenses. They can be added to the judgment and should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back