car seized case dismissed

Status
Not open for further replies.

screwedchic

I purchased a car from my step mother on a verbal contract. 7 days after she cashed the final payment, my father and her stole or "reposessed " my car. I called police and was told it was a civil matter. I located the car on my own and took it back. I recieved my title and registration in the mail, the 2 months later an officer contacted me. Long story short, I was given a citation for forgery I( a false claim), The police removed the vehicle before I was ever spoken to or given the citation, and released it to the "victim".I was not even home when this was done. The case was dismissed by the DA, all charges dropped. They wrote in the report that the vehicle was seized for evidence, and now wont help me get my car back. It is still titled and registered to me. Have my rights been violated and what can I do that costs no money for I am car-less and broke now???

screwedchic said:
I purchased a car from my step mother on a verbal contract. 7 days after she cashed the final payment, my father and her stole or "reposessed " my car. I called police and was told it was a civil matter. I located the car on my own and took it back. I recieved my title and registration in the mail, the 2 months later an officer contacted me. Long story short, I was given a citation for forgery I( a false claim), The police removed the vehicle before I was ever spoken to or given the citation, and released it to the "victim".I was not even home when this was done. The case was dismissed by the DA, all charges dropped. They wrote in the report that the vehicle was seized for evidence, and now wont help me get my car back. It is still titled and registered to me. Have my rights been violated and what can I do that costs no money for I am car-less and broke now???
Your rights have been violated by your father and stepmother. You should speak to the DA and consider having them brought up on criminal charges. Who exactly has the car? I would report the car stolen to the police since technically it has been stolen and is not a civil matter if you have title and registration and can prove it. It's no longer a civil matter of breach of contract either but also one of fraud -- the DA was brought into this matter and you were given a citation. There is a civil case against your father and stepfather in addition to breach of contract such as defamation and for malicious prosecution, tort causes of action, etc. But before you consider even doing any of this, I'm not sure I have all the facts and family disputes might bring long term repercussions that should be considered before acting upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back