Is better to settle and close a worker's compensation close than open to get new job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katekiess

HI!,
I had a back injury last 2009 at work and i had filed a claim for workers compensation and i had gone to series of therapy. After 2 years my workers compensation was finished and my metlife insurance start paying me the benefits. And its 2012 now i got better but still under therapy. My case went to court and the court awarded me a medical benefits for my back injury for the rest of my life. And i have a permanent disability, so metlife is paying me for long term disability benefits that will be over by june 1, 2014. In between this years from 2009-2012 i had finished medical billing and coding, and i moved here to texas since california is so expensive and i was only getting $2300 dollars once a month with two small children. I had tried to find a job in california and texas but there is no luck and also i found out from workers compensation that i have a public record since my case settle in court. My public record indicate my name and described the injury such as lower back injury involving muscle, spinal cord and spine. and also it said open workers compensation case for future medical treatment. now kaiser claim adjustor asked me if i wanted to settle in the amount of 19000 dollars and close the case and i can pay for my own medical treatment if i need it. I know this is a very small amount of money consider that a back surgery can cause from 25,000 to 90,000 dollars but i am worried that because i have an open workers compensation claim open for future medical treatment and public record describing my injury i cant find a job. What should i do? i was thinking to just accept the money and close the case and get my own medical insurance. Does it affect my chance of getting a job since i have an open workers comp case for future medical treatment and public record of my injury? should i just settle and close it? please help.... im running out of time since my metlife benefit will stop on june 1 2014 and im a single mother with two small children. metlife tried to assist me with Social Security Benefits but i know im not going to get much since im still young and i had worked in this country maybe less than 15 years. i have a back restriction such as no lifting more than 25 lbs and no twisting or bending more than six times an hour and no repetitive motion. i truly dont know what should i do at this point? and i know kaiser is waiting for me to settle it.. for the amount they wanted to give me which is 19,000 dollars the most. is it better to close and settle a workers compensation claim or leave it open for future medical treatment? If i leave it open can i get a job or not? is it hard to find a job now these days specially i have it in public record, and its an open workers comp claim? please help me ? And i forgot to mention kaiser had terminated me since they cant accomodate me with modified duty. and i stopped working since june 1,2009. i am looking for a job such as patient coordinator or medical biller or medical receptionist since that accomodate my back restriction but no luck until now i keep getting interviews then a response of there is a better candidate. I get the response from the employer there is better candidate after i filled up an application and had an interview and they run my background check.

Last edited:
HI!,
I had a back injury last 2009 at work and i had filed a claim for workers compensation and i had gone to series of therapy. After 2 years my workers compensation was finished and my metlife insurance start paying me the benefits. And its 2012 now i got better but still under therapy. My case went to court and the court awarded me a medical benefits for my back injury for the rest of my life. And i have a permanent disability, so metlife is paying me for long term disability benefits that will be over by june 1, 2014. In between this years from 2009-2012 i had finished medical billing and coding, and i moved here to texas since california is so expensive and i was only getting $2300 dollars once a month with two small children. I had tried to find a job in california and texas but there is no luck and also i found out from workers compensation that i have a public record since my case settle in court. My public record indicate my name and described the injury such as lower back injury involving muscle, spinal cord and spine. and also it said open workers compensation case for future medical treatment. now kaiser claim adjustor asked me if i wanted to settle in the amount of 19000 dollars and close the case and i pay for my own treatment if i need it. I know this is a very small amount of money consider that a back surgery can cause from 25,000 to 90,000 dollars but i worried that because i have an open workers compensation claim open for medical future medical treatment and public record describing my injury i cant find a job. What should i do? i was thinking to just accept the money and close the case and get my own medical insurance. Does it affect my chance of getting a job since i have an open workers comp case for future medical treatment and public record of my injury? should i just settle and close it? please help.... im running out of time since my metlife benefit will stop on june 1 2014 and im a single mother with two small children. metlife tried to assist me with Social Security Benefits but i know im not going to get much since im still young and i had worked in this country maybe less than 15 years. i have a back restriction such as no lifting more than 25 lbs and no twisting or bending more than six times an hour and no repetitive motion. i truly dont know what should i do at this point? and i know kaiser is waiting for me to settle it.. for the amount they wanted to give me which is 19,000 dollars the most. is it better to close and settle a workers compensation claim or leave it open for future medical treatment?

No one can tell you what to do.

You can see if a good lawyer will take your case on contingency.

Or, you can settle for the $20,000 and move back to your native country.

In most countries, $20,000 is a tidy sum.

Or, you can keep getting the $2,300 and move to countries that encourage people with pensions to relacate there.

Or, make a counter-offer $230,000 and see what the insurance company has to say.

Ultimately, the choice is yours, and yours alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back