Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Desperate here, (sort of) caught shoplifting, the 2nd time, the 1st time last October

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniellli

I cut the tags of 2 shirts(each around 70$) but then I put themback in the racks, but they saw me on the cameras.I damaged one of them - I saw that, but the other one wasn't damaged- at least I didn;t see anything, maybe the seam was disrupted but there was no tear or hole) I was arested and at the police station I found out I was also accused of stealing a pair of socks that were mine( they were thevery short socks used for sports- I had them in my jacket pocket, because I was goingto the gym and I went home to take them and put them in my jacket- I also had a bag with all sorts of stuff for the gym- snickers, ipod, pants, T shirt, the socks were in the jacket because from work I went home because I had forgotten to take the socks).
They say I cut the tags and threw away the shirts because I saw I damaged them and tried to leave the store. I was in the store for a while with the shirts and then I put them back in the racks, I didnt threw them on a floor. and the socks were mine, I dont know how I can proove that but on the other way they cannot proove I stole them because I didn't.
I was arrrested inOctober last year and did 2 days of community service and on the paper I have it says" one year period of conditional discharge and that I can do up to 15 days in jail if I dont respect the conditions of the discharge).
I didn;t really steal anything this time but I intentended to stealthe shirts but than I got afraid and gave up.

I am not a citizen, I have a work visa, I am really desperate, I dont know if I should hire a lawyer or stay with the one from the Legal Aid Sociery. I never saw here, the trial is June 15th, I never saw this lawyer, I only talked to her on the phone and she said that the outcome of the case will be the same. WHAT should I do? I am supposed to call again Friday to see if she has heard from the DA.
The lawyer I had for the arraignmet was a little nicer,she asked me how important it is for me to stay in this country, I said very and she said I should concentrate on that.
I am VERY VERY scared of doing time and also scared to be deported, I was in this country for ~ 5 years.
I would greatly appreciate any advice.
I think I can be deported if I get convicted. I think the lawyer from the legal aid society isn't telling me all the options I have.
I would greatly appreciate any advice and sorry for the long post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back