Removing a co-signer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApplesOne

im about to leave my boyfriend, and im wondering what my options are. its MY vehicle, but i didnt have the credit at the time, so he was a cosigner. i've been paying for almost a year. it was all done in cash, from either a joint banking account or tip money, so i have no "see, look, i was the one paying it" to use. assuming hes co-operative, is it possible/likely to have him removed? either put to me soley, or to myself and a new cosigner? if hes NOT cooperative, i'm considering simply taking hte vehicle with me, and paying it off, with proof i paid it off... would i then be able to have the option of either paying him half the amount already paid or something, or demanding he remove himself, or buy the vehicle? its a 13k loan, so i know HE wont have a chance in heck of paying it off himself, i think i owe about 10 on it still, so if i went the option of simply paying the rest off, would i "owe" him half the paid balance, half of everything paid, including interest, half hte current value of the car, minus the 10 i pay, or...? i love this car, so really dont want to loose it, lol, but i DO need to keep it at least long enough to move my stuff, im pretty sure as long as i hold onto my keys (only set) he cant legally do anything fast enough to stop me, right? I beleive he will be at least semi-cooperative, but i honestly dont know. basically just need to be steered in the right direction, i have some time to work with.

Negotiate with him for the vehicle. Hopefully you now have sufficient credit to finance it yourself. If not then offer it to him. Better to get it settled now than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back