Can I scare him into making a will?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKT1962

My husband and I have been married for 3 years, 4 months and have been living together for 6 years. Second marriage for both. We live on his family homestead (80 acres), settled by his grandparents and built by the grandparents, his parents, hubby and his now deceased brother. He has two adult daughters and one grandchild. I have two adult children that have no stake in this matter at all. When hubby's father, mother and brother all passed without leaving wills, hubby inherited everything from all three including $500,000 in CDs that his mother had set aside for hubby's daughters (verbal wishes). Hubby gave his daughter's this inheritence from their grandmother ($250,000 each) 5 years ago. One daughter used her inheritence for cosmetic surgery and to live on, the other used it to live on; both are now destitute. Everything we own, with the exception of one vehicle is in hubby's name alone. I have a small monthly income of my own (disability) and we keep seperate bank accounts.

Hubby has a way of avoiding anything to do with mortality; especially writing a will. When hubby retired this year from a 30 year city job, he listed his beneficiaries for his pension as #1. me, #2. his grandson, who is currently 6 years old.

Hubby has told me his wishes should he pass before me. He wants me to live on the farm until my own passing and then wants everything - except our joint possessions to go to his grandson. He has acknowledged that he knows his daughters would sell the farm before he was even cold in his grave and his strongest desire is that it stay in the family.

I have no problem with hubby's wishes, except I know enough about the law to know it won't play out the way hubby wants it to.

My biggest concern, should I pass away at a time close to hubby's own passing, is for our two dogs, that we consider to be our children -and anyone that doesn't understand that has never owned a german shepherd. ;-) As far as my own wishes are concerned, everything that I own, not held jointly with husband, should be liquidated to finance re-homing "the boys" together and pay for their care for the rest of their lives.

I have talked to hubby until I was blue in the face without success about making wills so this his wishes and mine are followed.

Can anyone explain Arkansas' Intestate Succession laws to me in simple turns so I can once again try to convince hubby to write up our wills? Given the facts above, who would inherit what?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back