Auto dealership: Breach of contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latonia

I purchased a used car for $4000 from a mom and pop dealership. The owner offered me in-house financing. I accepted. She completed all of the necessary documents, including the "Agreement to Furnish Insurance Policy" contract. On the contract there is a section for the dealership to enter the amount of the desired deductible comprehensive and the desired deductible collision insurance they would like the buyer to have. In both of the sections on the "Agreement to Furnish Insurance Policy" contract she entered 0.00.

The state of California requires you to have full coverage on any financed vehicle. I obtained full coverage for the car with a $1000 deductible. My insurance agent called me and said that the owner of the dealership rejected the insurance and said I have to have full coverage with a $500 deductible or she will add her own insurance policy which will increase the amount of my monthly car payment.

Based on the contract the she prepared and I signed, she did not specify that I would have to have full coverage with a $500 deductible. What are my rights as a consumer? Do I have to comply with her request or is this considered as a breach of contract from the dealership?

It doesn't seem to be a breach of contract.
You need to get a straight answer form the dealer as to why they rejected the insurance you obtained. The deductible you pay is none of their business. All that matters is the coverage.
So long as you have obtained the proper coverage, I am not sure the dealer even has any right to approve or reject the insurance policy you obtain. I suspect the dealer will create their own problems if they try to force you to pay their insurance and change the agreement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back