transfering a title on a motorcycle with 3 years in dmv back fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott49

Hi there,

My name is Scott. I recently purchased a 1979 yamaha xs400 from a person off craigslist. The motorcycle has a clean title but 3-4 years in dmv back fees. Unfortunately I didnt not find out about the back fees until after I purchased it and tried to do a title transfer at the DMV. They said I owe from 2010 till 2013 registration and penalties. The total cost is around $650. The reason why is is so high is because the previous owner before the guy I purchased it from failed to put the bike into no-op status. Most of the fees are from the CHP penalties, about $360. The rest is the just regular registration fees for the past 3 years. The guy I purchased it from said he received the bike as a payment from the previous owner before him. He had never planned on registering it and was only going to sell it immediately to get back what was owed to him.

Anyways, I went to 2 different DMVs in hopes of possibly getting a forgiving employee. No such luck. I came home and decided to go online to do more research on this. I found through the DMV website (official website) Vehicle Code 9562. Its basically a code stating that if you were unaware of the back fees prior to purchasing that you may have the fees waived. I assume this was not mentioned to him by any DMV employees because they are all told to never waive fees and they probably didnt know this code existed. I was thinking about printing the code out directly from the website and bringing it with me to the DMV next time and showing them that it states that I qualify to have my fees waived.

I just wanted to find out if anyone has ever heard of this being done successfully. I just have the feeling that the DMV will try to claim they never heard of the VC and deny me because I'm sure most of them dont know anything at the DMV.

the website is http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc9562.htm

After re-reading the VC a couple times I've come to the understanding that they can waive penalties as long as the registration fees are paid. But as I read down more it seems like its says that registration AND penalties for previous years may be waived also. Can anyone else verify what this VC means exactly? Thank you

Last edited:
The section states the fees "may" be waived, which doesn't mean they "must" be waived. I suspect this will require a request for the waiver to be sent to the director of the DMV. The authority to waive the fees vest in the director. It may also reside in the deputy or assistant directors.

I suggest you write a letter to the Director of DMV in Sacramento. You might also contact your elected state senator and/or representative for your city or area and discuss the issue with their staff person.

If it does get waived, it probably won't be quick. Hey, it's the gubmint, and theys heah to hep.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

As I read that code it appears to me that you can possibly get the penalty waived, but still must pay the past due registration fee as well as the current registration fee, so perhaps you can get it reduced by $360.

The procedure for doing this isn't clear. You can go back to the DMV and present a copy of this section of the Vehicle Code so they can attempt to explain it or run it up the chain for explanation.

If in the end you find yourself paying the full amount, consider filling out form ADM 399 linked below to request a refund of the amount you believe you have overpaid. Read the instructions carefully.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/adm/adm399.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back