Protected Species

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinAlex

I have a friend who works on a ranch from time to time. Every once in a while he finds feathers on the ground that he will collect. He and I both thought them to be from an owl until I found some pictures of a red-tailed buteo hawk online. I noticed that the feathers he has been collecting actually came from the wing of these raptors. I have always known that this was a protected bird, but I recently heard someone tell my friend that he should loose the feathers because he could get into legal trouble for posessing them. Is this true?

What else is illegal in such a mannor?

This is not legal Advise!

I would have thought (in my opinion) that having feathers from a protected bird, would not be illegal. If you had eggs or maybe stuffed birds, I think you may be in trouble.

You see if you were underage to drive and were stopped with car keys, dose that make you a driver, But if you are stopped with car keys and you have just got out of the car then maybe you will have problems convincing someone you were not driving.

The other thing is, if you are finding feathers of a protected bird quite regular, I think you should contact animal welfare and show them what you are finding and where, because it may be that someone else is up to no good! After all this bird is a protected and you are aware!!!!

good luck.

Last edited:
muggsyj The other thing is said:
I doubt very seriously anyone in that area would care enough to be up to no good. Realistically, all birds molt. We are only finding them on occasion and in various places of the ranch so I know they are from more than one Hawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back