Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft 1st time offender in ridgeland, ms

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovemydaughter

I was caught shoplifting for the first time and I'm 23 I had to spend the night in jail plus pay a bondsman to get me out for 1000 I have to go to court what will happen? I am guilty but not sure what to plead I need some advice im a single mom and broke my heart to be in jail away from my daughter I can't leave her again

And he gave you advice. Hire a lawyer.

Without knowing what you are charged with or what evidence they have against you, it would be downright irresponsible of us to tell you what to do.

If you were jailed and forced to bond out I suspect you theft reached felony levels. This may be far more serious than simple shoplift

Was not looking for criticism looking for advice smart ass

You received 2 tidbits of advice in my response.

1. Hire a lawyer, they are obviously treating your theft seriously by arresting you.

2. The judge hears the same thing from every mommy thief. Telling him what he has already heard 1000 times will only make him harder on you.

Then why was she jailed and force to bail out. A typical shoplift results in cite and release normally. there has to be more to this or you were misinformed. What was dollar value of what she took? without telling too much can you say details of theft? No names or store names please

What EXACTLY was the charge(s)?
Was this person on probation or parole?
When the person was arrested, were they in possession of any contraband?
Did the person get into an altercation with police or store security?
When the person was arrested, did she have her children with her?
Has this person been previously convicted of retail theft?
Something is missing. You want a proper answer, we need all the details, no names required!

Looking for legal advice and you did not give it to me
Army Judge's points are right on target. In virtually every shoplifting case - and we see many of them - bail is not required. It's usually what shoplifting typically is -- "petty" theft. But here there is some vital information we are missing. Why was this person actually jailed? What is the reason for the bail?

I'm confused as to whether you were jailed or someone else. The bottom line is this - if we're talking bail, there is likely a need for a criminal lawyer to take a very good look at the case. They will be able to help you get the best plea deal possible and also determine whether the jail and bail was inappropriate for a first offense of a very small petty theft. Without all the facts, it's impossible for anyone here to really help you with useful advice.

Ok theft did not reach felony levels and you say paper says misdemeanor. Something is missing! did you have your ID? Shoplifting is my expertise and I am telling you its well beyond the norm for a typical shoplifter to be jailed and forced to bail out. You want answers right? Then you need to give us the info we need to answer you! By the way "legal" advice comes from your Attorney not a website

It is possible she was arrested for a burglary, Sec 97-17-33, rather than petty theft.
If it was determined she entered the building with intent to steal then the felony charge could apply and would explain the arrest.
They may have later cited out with a lesser offense.

Last edited:
It was a first offense and had to spend the night but bailed out the next day because she has a daughter to take care of and nobody but her takes care of the daughter

It was a first offense and had to spend the night but bailed out the next day because she has a daughter to take care of and nobody but her takes care of the daughter
Okay, good luck. You need an attorney, so hire your own, or ask the judge to appoint one to represent you.
Plead not guilty, and say nothing to anyone, but your lawyer.

No you dont understand! She should not have been jailed unless there are circumstances outside the norm or this rose to felony levels. If you cannot or will not give us info we cannot help you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back