Is winning a contest considered working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkbark

When I was a young man, I wrote a lot of songs. These days my disability (neurological) keeps me from even playing an instrument. But I have all these songs, and there are a lot of songwriting contests around. Some have $50,000 prizes. Now, I know it's unlikely I'd win anything, but if I did, would that be considered working by the WCB? The "work" was done 30 years ago. The only thing I'd be doing now would be converting old tapes to digital, and modernizing the sounds a bit.

Probably my question sounds crazy, but I remember a guy who lived in the heart of the Adirondacks, where there is only summertime work. He put together a band, got cards printed up, and told UI he was going to try to make some money that way. UI immediately cancelled his benefits, saying he was self-employed as a musician. He never got a playing job, had to get a lawyer to get UI the next year, and never tried to make any money in the winter again. I don't want to get into that kind of situation.

Last edited:
Unemployment and workers comp have different criteria for what is and is not considered acceptable. I agree with the above answer.

On a more serious note, what is hpenpaing to the major climate zones? It would appear logical that with the Earth warming and the Arctic ice near a record low, the Hadley cell should be expanding and the Arctic Polar cell declining. Thus descending dry equatorial air would be coming down further north than previously. This would not bode well for Texas or much of the southern US. To see their future, one only has to look at North Africa or Arabia. I hope I'm wrong, but the heat of this summer suggests a different type of drought to what happened in the fifties. I've seen it suggested that it's high pressure and the jet stream, but I suspect this is putting the cart before the horse. The high pressure is the descending dry air and it is adiabatically warmed, and so has an even greater affinity for any remaining moisture, thus the drought. The jet stream position would then be the consequence rather than the cause of this expanding equatorial Hadley cell. Is this what is hpenpaing now, is it a freak, or is it te first sign of what will happen later? It seems particularly ironic that the southern politicians are the very people who most vehemently oppose any action to remediate climate change. The Tea Party does seem to be taken from Alice in Wonderland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back