Repairs, Maintenance High water bill due to leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

moxx23

I have lived in my apartment for 10 months, for the first six months my water bill was always $95. The toilet in one of the bathrooms started leaking 4 months ago. I asked my landlord to repair it, he came by and claimed that it was fixed however it continued to run. I asked him to come back to fix it and he told me that all I had to do was lift the toilet top and push the stopper in and it would quit running. My family and I did this for a month, but we found ourselves lifting the toilet top at least 20 times a day; which I thought was rediculous. I asked my landlord to come back, this time he put rubberbands around the toilet stopper, which did nothing, we were still lifting the toilet top. I called the landlord one last time and he finally installed a heavy duty stopper. During the course of these 4 months my water bill doubled, when I spoke to the water company they said they would reimburse me if my landlord gave me an invoice. I requested this invoice from my landlord but he just gave me a handwritten letter. The water company will not accept this and require an invoice. I asked my landlord for an invoice again and explained the difference. I am still waiting on my invoice one month later and the water company will only reimburse for 90 days from the bill. MY QUESTION IS: CAN I DEDUCT THE EXTRA AMOUNT ON MY WATER BILLS FROM MY RENT, DUE TO MY LANDLORDS NEGLIGENCE/NONCOMPLIANCE AND IF SO WHAT IS THE PROPER WAY TO GO ABOUT IT?

Yes you can, but only if you follow a particular procedure, which you haven't.
If you withhold part of your rent you might find yourself facing eviction.
If you can't resolve the issue your option is small claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back