Consumer Law, Warranties No refunds (defective products)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerosky

I was at Kragen Auto Parts the other day and bought a casette adapter for my car. I realized it was defective 30 minutes later and went to go get a refund. When I got there the employee told me they have a no-return policy. I started to get frustrted because isn't it illegal not to refund the purchace of a defective product? On top of that isn't it mandatory to make your customer aware of the no-return policy before their purchase is complete? What can I do to get my money back?

I was at Kragen Auto Parts the other day and bought a casette adapter for my car. I realized it was defective 30 minutes later and went to go get a refund. When I got there the employee told me they have a no-return policy. I started to get frustrted because isn't it illegal not to refund the purchace of a defective product? On top of that isn't it mandatory to make your customer aware of the no-return policy before their purchase is complete? What can I do to get my money back?

You might try writing to their corporate HQ or calling them
You could return ti the store and ask to speak with the store manager.
Or, you could call HQ and ask the name and contact information of the regional manager over that particular store.
If none of that gets you satisfaction, you'll have to sue them in small claims court.
Depending on how the product cost you, it might just be easier to forget it.
Going forward, you know NOT to shop there again, and you could tell your friends and relatives about how you were cheated.
They might also support your personal boycott.

Local Store Return
Published 10/06/2011 07:38 AM | Updated 11/10/2011 02:36 PM

Please read the following instructions prior to making a return to your local O'Reilly Auto Parts store location. All merchandise returned as NEW must be in its original packaging, unopened and uninstalled, including all original materials supplied with the product. All returns must be presented with the original purchase receipt. No exceptions. Items returned for warranty may be exchanged or refunded at our discretion. Refunds will only be issued to the same card used for purchase of the item being returned and you must present this card. Retail store credit will not be given.

Types of Returns / Definitions
Published 10/06/2011 08:01 AM | Updated 11/10/2011 02:36 PM

NEW: Products qualify for New Return, if they have not been installed, are in their original packaging, unopened, including all original materials supplied with the product.

CORE: This term refers to new or remanufactured item(s) for which a core value is charged. Core value is refundable upon return of the old part.

WARRANTY/DEFECT: Refer to our Warranty Policy to determine coverage.

Kragen is now owned by O'Reilly Auto Parts.
For Customer Service issues, please call O'Reilly Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-755-6759.

O'Reilly Auto Parts
233 South Patterson Avenue
Springfield, MO 65802-2298

Write them an email:

http://corporate.oreillyauto.com/corporate/ContactUs.do

http://corporate.oreillyauto.com/corporate/EmailUs.do?subHeadingId=21893&hasAttachment=false

Last edited:
Kragen/Oreilly is essentially the same company for the past few years.

Personally, I would not expect the store to accept an opened product, though it would be nice if they would. Parts stores have a huge problem with returns due to people attempting do it yourself repairs and changing out perfectly good parts. When the part didn't fix the problem they want to return it.

If the item you got is defective ou should consider contacting the manufacturer of the item. They will likely ask you to send them the defective one with a copy of your reciept and they will replace it. If you no longer have the packaging then look at another of the same item in the store to get the info you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back