Worth drawing up a letter from a lawyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellowshoes

I resigned from my job in January (I kept the letter incase I should need to use it later) and have since heard 3 times that my former boss is telling people she fired me. Now, I've heard it a 4th time and I know this person would be a witness for me should it need to go to court.

To be honest I have no desire to sue the woman - I just want to be done with her once and for all. However, considering I work in a "small world" her words could really effect my job opportunities should someone choose to believe her. So I just need to know: is considered Slander/Defamation and would be worth having a lawyer draw up a letter to have her stop?

Thanks,

YellowShoes

Such a letter, might help, but then again, it might not.

Only a court can order her to stop.

But, even a court can't make her stop.

People promise many things, until it is time to perform.

I suggest you move on.

Forget the old cow, and live your new life.
Stop looking back.
The world can be(and often is) a very troubling place!

I would love to leave it behind (that's part of the reason I quit- the situation was becoming borderline harassment with me waiting in my car until the last minute to run into my class to teach so I did not have to risk running into her and her verbally attacking me for some unknown reason).

However, like I said, I work in a small industry and people are coming to me telling me she is saying this. The reason I'm now questioning whether I should take action or not is because now she has said it to a possible employer.

I have my resignation letter, a witness to the date I turned it in as well as the letter she sent me in reply to receiving it. I even have a letter from an anon person given to me by my ex-boss last fall stating how horrible I am at my job which is believe to be a falsified document to scare me. I just don't know if the court would make her supply an actual name to go with the document should I take it to court.

Thank you for your advice.

Do you have EVIDENCE that (1st) she is telling people that she fired you and (2nd) you have suffered actual damages as a direct result of her saying that?

If not, you are wasting your time even thinking about legal action.

Since my original post, things have progressively gotten worse.

Because I have chosen to go to work for a company that is opening which will be in competition against my former employer I received a letter from her lawyer (which has been reviewed by multiple lawyers whom agree it is just a scare tactic). The letter was expected to some extent and after consultation decided it was best not to respond and just continue to move forward. However, she and her husband are now purposely seeking people out to question them for information regarding the new company and in the process are still making unnecessary comments about me.

The stress on top of my new work load is actually affecting my health. After having a panic attack at my acupuncturist's on Wednesday I called my friend and co-worker at my new place of employment to ask that should she be contacted again in reference to me involving my former employer that she document all evidence and forward it to my attorney until further notice.

I know Im a good person and I don't deserve this, but who ever does?

Thank you for all of your help CBG and Army Judge.

Since you apparantly had no trouble finding new employment you will not likely get anywhere with a defamation argument.
It sounds as if both sides need to ignore each other and move on. There seems to be no point in documentation and no point in consulting attorneys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back