Unemployment eligibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

enoch

Foremost, I like to apologize if this is the wrong thread to post this question.

Last year, I quit my job(not related to my degree at all, had to take it in order to pay the bills) to join the US Army Reserves. I'll be finished with training in a couple of months. When I return to NYC, I like to know if I am eligible to file for unemployment benefits while I look for a new career and go back to school. Before I joined the military, I quit my job because I had no intentions of going back to it after my training since it was not related to my expertise, and frankly I didn't enjoy doing my job.

So in essence to my understanding, you have to be "terminated" or what not in order to receive unemployment benefits?

Well, I quit my last job only to work for the military full time while in-training, however, when training is over, i'll return to working for them part-time(one weekend a month).

If they look at my last job, wouldn't it be the military? and if thats the case, I'm not actually quitting but rather, being taken off active duty status because of completion of training. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You can certainly file for unemployment. There is nothing stopping you from doing so. Whether or not the circumstances you describe will qualify you for benefits in your unnamed state is not something we can assess. But there is no penalty for being wrong and the worst thing that can happen is that you are denied, in which case you are no worse off than if you didn't try in the first place. It costs nothing but a little time and there is no adverse action taken if you apply when you are not eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back