Am I Guilty of a Hit and Run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer05

I was pulling into a parking space yesterday and I hit the left rear fender of a parked, unattended vehicle. I got scared and left the parking lot. Later I called the police to report the accident. The police officer said that the report had been labeled as a hit and run because they found no notifying information at the scene but since I called in to do the right thing that he wasn't going to charge me with hit and run. I got the info of the lady that I hit and contacted her and exchanged insurance information. Insurance is taking care of the damages. Should I be worried about the police going back and charging me with hit and run or because I called and reported the crime within 24 hours of it taking place, does this mean that it should not be considered as a hit and run? I need some advice as I am scared that I will be arrested and sent to jail. This is my first EVER time getting in trouble with the law in any way.

Yes, you left the scene without contacting the owner or leaving your contact information- the moment you left it became hit and run.
With the circumstances you describe it seems the officer simply facilitated the exchange of information and will not submit a hit and run offense.
Understand that it is not because you called within 24 hours. The officer, at his discretion, cut you a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back