leaking pipe, high water bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie

The first water bill received after I moved into a rental home was extremely high. I told the landlord about my concern. I questioned the water department and they said they would investigate. In the mean time I discovered a puddle in the yard and informed the landlord. She had a plumber to come out. He found a leaking pipe underground and fixed that leak. The water bill continues to come in high. I can not see any other leaks and have informed the landlord. My question has to do with the bill. Who is responsible for the exorbitant bill that is due to the leak(s)? I have asked the landlord to pay the bill. She is basically refusing and claiming that I should have been walking the property routinely in order to find problems(!) I found the leak because the dog ran into the flower bed and came out wet and shouldn't have because there had been no watering there. I informed the landlord of this as soon as I knew this. I don't think I should have to pay the bill due to a leak that was underground and not detectable to me until the water surfaced. The water department is still doing its research.

If the bill is in your name then you are responsible for paying it.
If you believe the landlord should compensate you due to faulty plumbing then you either need to come to an agreement with the landlord or take the case to court for a judgment.

water bill

Leaking water is a very serious problem faced by most of the people in their homes. I think you should get it repair it by calling a professional as soon as possible since we all know that there is scarcity of water. This will also stop the increased water bills then after that you can take the action you want to take that who is responsible if the bill is in your name then you have to pay for it. Check the documents that you signed while taking the home on rent and then take an appropriate action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back