Community Property?

Status
Not open for further replies.

taquela80

My dad has been married to my stepmom for probably 20yrs, they separated in 1997, but remained married. Approx. in 2001 he purchased a house and lived in it until 2009. In 2009 when he moved out he moved in with his wife, I have been living in the house since he moved out. This past Monday, he signed papers for a loan modification on the house, and my stepmom was given the opportunity to either opt in or out on having the house in her name too. She opted in, my dad says he is not sure why she would want her name on the house being that they already had an agreement that the house was to be given to me, she never lived in the house and has never made any payments on it. He is unsure of her motives and wants me to think about if I really want to go through with the loan or not. If I go through with it, her name will be on house and he is afraid if he died she could take the house from me. If we dont go through with the loan, the house will remain in his name and he can will it over to me. My concern is that since this is a community state (California) she could be entitled to the house weather her name is on it or not. I'm not sure what to do, I need to make this decision tonight. Any suggestions or advise?

He isn't divorced. If he were to predecease her, she'd get the house, you'd get the hose. He bought the house during the marriage. The house is as much hers, as it is his. I suggest you and dad speak with a lawyer. Your remedies are few. You'll be at her mercy one day. Rather than sign a loan mod, dad might want to buy you a house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back