Credit Cards, Rating, Repair SOL on judgement and whether to pay debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestTerrace

I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit after accumulating some debt due to illness and job loss. I've successfully paid most of the debt or they have fallen off my credit report over time. The main issue plaguing me is a judgement due to an eviction 6 years ago (June 2006) At one point my credit report stated that it was due to fall off June 2012 but I've recently checked (March 2012) and it doesn't appear on my Experian or TransUnion report (have to check Equifax) I'm in the process of applying for an apt where a background and credit check will be completed and I'm very concerned my application will be rejected. Should I contact the debtor to pay it off or leave well enough alone? The SOL is 6yrs in NY so am I obligated to pay this debt anymore?*

I've always been of the opinion to let sleeping dogs lie.
I'd apply and see what happens.

If a judgment was issued, it'll remain a judgment until satisfied, assuming the creditor satisfies the judgment and reinstates it according to state law. Again, I'd leave it be.

I guess I'm worried about being rejected when the credit check is done. If the judgement is off the credit report and the SOL expires, does that mean I'm no longer obligated to pay the debt?

I guess I'm worried about being rejected when the credit check is done. If the judgement is off the credit report and the SOL expires, does that mean I'm no longer obligated to pay the debt?

I can't give you permission to do or not do anything.

It has been my experience that IF the judgment holder hasn't come after you now, he/sh isn't likely to come after you now!

Even though it falls off the credit report you are still responsible for paying the debt, and the creditor can still attempt to collect it. By the time it is removed from your credit report most collectors will have given up.

I agree with the above- though you still owe the money, let sleeping dogs lie. By paying the debt you actually give the creditor opportunity to update the status of your delinquency and the entry would remain on your report much longer.

Well I spoke too soon. A letter from an attorney (on behalf of the landlord) came requesting payment. Should I ask them to validate that they're allowed to collect on this debt or just make payment arrangements?

Well I spoke too soon. A letter from an attorney (on behalf of the landlord) came requesting payment. Should I ask them to validate that they're allowed to collect on this debt or just make payment arrangements?

Since you are anxious to send your money when you receive a letter from an attorney, please provide me with your address.
I'm going to send you some letters demanding you pay me, too!!!
If I were you, I'd leave this alone.
Anything you do now, restarts the statute of limitations.
You are currently protected by the SOL.
Don't be so anxious to hand out money because people ask.

LOL!!! thank you Army Judge. I do owe this money but I want to make sure that it is paid to the correct person. The judgement isn't showing on my credit report but what do you suggest is the best way to clear up this debt?

Since you are anxious to send your money when you receive a letter from an attorney, please provide me with your address.
I'm going to send you some letters demanding you pay me, too!!!
If I were you, I'd leave this alone.
Anything you do now, restarts the statute of limitations.
You are currently protected by the SOL.
Don't be so anxious to hand out money because people ask.

LOL!!! thank you Army Judge. I do owe this money but I want to make sure that it is paid to the creditor. The judgement isn't showing on my credit report and I'm trying to keep it off. I just want this to be settled already so I can stop stressing, move on with my life and rebuild my credit.

I also failed to mention that this collection agency/law firm has made 5 inquires w/in the past year and its listed on my credit report. What can I do to make them stop these hard inquires?

The debt you allege to have had, has been written off by the original creditor. Usually, if you've signed a note, or even a credit card application, the creditor sells the debt to a collections scavenger. The original creditor can't ever be repaid. They've gotten the benefit if repayment by a sweet tax write off. They've also made a little money by selling the debt for afew cents on the dollar. That isn't a law firm writing you. It's a lawyer allowing the buzzards and bottom feeders to use the firm's name to scare money out of victims, like yourself. Google the name and your eyes will be opened. The time to have i sensed over this was when you had no money to pay it. Too late now. If you pay, the buzzards will get 200-300 times their investment. Dude, it's a scam. It ain't what you think it is!!!!!

Ignore the letter.
The only thing you should respond to is a summons to court, which it seems you are unlikely to get.

Last edited:
Hi again!

Well I'm in a pickle again. If you're trying to rent an apt in NY, the potential lanlord checks both housing and credit reports. I have a judgement from an eviction back in '05. No one will rent to me unless I can provide a debt satisfaction letter. That is the only way I can have it expunged. Shld I contact the landlord's atty to pay? This horrible mistake I made as a kid in college is ruining my life!

Hi again!

Well I'm in a pickle again. If you're trying to rent an apt in NY, the potential lanlord checks both housing and credit reports. I have a judgement from an eviction back in '05. No one will rent to me unless I can provide a debt satisfaction letter. That is the only way I can have it expunged. Shld I contact the landlord's atty to pay? This horrible mistake I made as a kid in college is ruining my life!

You might wish to spend some money and speak with a lawyer in your county.

Local lawyers are better suited to assist you long term.

We are a simple website.

We try to offer easy answers, and are in no position to serve your long term legal needs.

You, my friend, MIGHT be better off by speaking with a BANKRUPTCY attorney.

Your credit is shot, but that judgment will haunt you even AFTER you pay it.

ankruptcy was intended to offer people a fresh start.

It is ONE of the FEW legal tools that really do what they were intended to do.

Filing bankruptcy seems so drastic when I don't have any delinquent accounts or debt on my credit reports. This judgement only exists in housing court records.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back