Ask a Legal Question

Thread: Not thinking

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Not thinking

    Jurisdiction / State: ebraska

    I am 22 and was caught shoplifting from Walmart, $75. I was taken to the AP room, my information and picture were taken and an officer gave me a citation with a court date. What do I do?

    I know I need to call and talk to attorneys about my options. Is there a way to go to court early to get a public defender before the court date? Will the public defender charge me? How long would everything last if my court date is in a month? What happens in terms of sentencing if I do as the attorneys tell me? What is the likelihood of getting diversion and have it not on my record if this is my first offense? Should I try to take a shoplifting class before the court date to show that I really do regret what I did and want to get help or will this be futile? What else can I do to help myself? I know this was very dumb of me and I really wish I didnt do it or even have the urge to do it but I know going to court and saying I am sorry and that I wont do it again will not give me any slack. What do I do to show that I really do regret it and am sorry?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Samaritan & Scholar
    army judge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Pago Pago
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,748 Posts
    Public defenders represent you at no cost.
    So, do the following: Shut up about this, wait for the court date, plead not guilty, ask the court to appoint a lawyer, make no confessions or admissions (yeah, you've already admitted it, so just shut up now), wait, stay out of any additional trouble during the pendency of this matter, and eventually if you've behaved yoyrself, this most likely will be disposed of without much (maybe no) damage to your reputation and record!!!

    Summer has arrived!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to army judge For This Useful Post:

    embarassed89 (03-19-2012)

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Thanked 128 Times in 125 Posts
    As AJ states stay quiet! When you talk to your Attorney ask if diversion or any similar program is available in your case. If so this should protect your record
    ParentNook parenting & relationships forum

  5. #4
    Registered User Samaritan & Scholar
    mightymoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Hanford, CA
    Thanked 654 Times in 640 Posts
    This is minor. Don't stress over it... and stop stealing.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-11-2011, 05:26 PM
  2. Thinking about going for 100% Custody
    By karinlynn1 in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 03:32 PM
  3. Thinking about suing ex-girlfriend.
    By CHutto1 in forum Small Claims & Municipal Court
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-23-2008, 06:30 PM
  4. Thinking Of Divorce
    By skylarblue in forum Divorce, Separation, Annulment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 09:50 PM
  5. Alcohol: MIP, MIC, Intoxication what was i thinking...
    By ashstorey in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 12:21 PM

Log in

Log in