Car Stolen in 1994 Now on eBay for sale, how can I get it back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwepidface

My car was stolen back in 1994 in Chicago IL. It was a very special custom car that I built with my father. I know all the modifications done to the car, and I am 100% certain the car listed now on eBay is it. The car is currently listed as being in New Jersey, and I live in Arizona now. What can I do to get the car returned to me. It was insured, and payed off by the insurance, but it wasn't covered for any of the custom work done to it. This is the last car my father build before passing on, and I really would like it back. If I call the NJ police and have them check the frame numbers and confirm it's my car, can I get it back? Will I have to buy it from the insurance company? Will they sell it to me, or auction it off?

My car was stolen back in 1994 in Chicago IL. It was a very special custom car that I built with my father. I know all the modifications done to the car, and I am 100% certain the car listed now on eBay is it. The car is currently listed as being in New Jersey, and I live in Arizona now. What can I do to get the car returned to me. It was insured, and payed off by the insurance, but it wasn't covered for any of the custom work done to it. This is the last car my father build before passing on, and I really would like it back. If I call the NJ police and have them check the frame numbers and confirm it's my car, can I get it back? Will I have to buy it from the insurance company? Will they sell it to me, or auction it off?

Before you use intuition, and not information, slow down.
I suggest you engage the "owner" in some conversation.
Your goal is do get "owner", turned "seller" of possible purloined merchandise to get him/her to talk about the car.
You need vin numbers, fame numbers, customization history, registration records, anything and everything he/she will reveal to you about the car.
You want to gather information to prove your supposition.
Once you confirm that it the car you once owned, take that information to your local police and they will guide you through the investigative system to get your information to the right agency.
So, you must play detective and get the "seller" into thinking you are interested in buying the car.
But, before you do buy it, you want to know as much as you can about the car to make a proper bid.
If the "seller" is reluctant to share much information with you, that might be the information you're seeking.
Nothing might happen, but the police will at leats give you the courtesy of listening to you.
So, go in and speak with the detective, once you've tried to gather details.
I wouldn't worry about if you can purchase, until you know you can bring the culprit to justice.
You might also contact the insurance company or agent.
Somewhere in that large company, there is a group of people that handle auto thefts.
So, you might also take what information you gather to them, as well.

This is a website that is owned national insurance companies for auto theft.

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

I have e-mailed the "owner". Like I said I'm 100% sure it's my car. There are parts of the car that are custom hand formed pieces that can't be duplicated. And since it has all the unique features of my car, I know for sure. The only difference is the car is now listed as a 81, not a 87. With him saying the body was converted to a 87. The current "owner" has only had the car for a few months, and the eBay title history confirms that, and shows it was previously, registered in IL. So I'm not sure he had anything to do with the theft, he may have just bought it that way.

Unfortunately since it's been so long, and I've moved out of state I no longer have the vin # info readily available. The car means more to me than the money. I'm tempted to just buy the car from him. But I'm afraid to have stolen property, even if it was stolen from me. I think that would turn into a mess later as well.

You will need to negotiate with the insurance company to get the car back, even if it is retrieved. If the current value is higher than the payout, you might have a battle there also.

The car is no longer yours. If it is recovered, it belongs to the insurance company.
You have a complicated mess on your hands... but if it were me, I think I might start with the insurance company and see what kind of response I get from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back