Teacher puts student in closet......

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgy33

Tuesday, 28 Feb 12, our daughter's math teacher put her in a supply closet for most of the math period. He brought her out 5 minutes before the class ended and the whole class laughed at her and now she doesn't want to go to school.
We met with the school's assistant principle yesterday to demand our daughter get a different math teacher. The assistant principle said it definitely isn't school policy to put children in a closet and that he would investigate the matter, however, he also said they don't change student's teachers unless there are extreme reasons. He then said if this was the case, it was just one bad decision on the instructor's part and that it would be handled in-house but couldn't allow us to know what actions were taken, if any. My wife and I said we didn't care about what they do with him, we just want our daughter out of his class. The instructor in question has been with that school district for over 2 decades as a math and english teacher as well as a coach to 3 different girls sports teams. Today, we are meeting with some faculty and administrative people from the school. My question is what legal actions can we take?

You can bring a lawsuit, and probably achieve nothing.
You have three options, as I see it.
You can take this matter to the superintendent, directly.
Or, you can take the matter before the school board, your elected school officials.
A third option might be to discuss the teacher's actions with your state child protective services agency.
Good luck.

Possibly, instead of trying to fry the teacher, you should try to resolve the issue between your daughter and the teacher, that prompted the teacher to respond in such a seemingly unorthodox manner.

Yes... bad decision or not, there is a reason your daughter ended up in that closet. The teacher may well have done something wrong, but I am willing to bet your daughter was no angel at the time.
Personally, I think the teacher resolved the problem... your daughter likely learned to not misbehave in the class and won't do in the future because she fears the embarassing consequences.
You should probably talk to her other teachers as well and see how they each report her status in the class.

This brings back memories to the day I marched my daughter to her classroom, rubbed her nose on the wall, where she had written with marker, told her I would embarrass her even worse if something like this happened again, then after her class returned, made her apologize to the class. The principal and teacher were stunned. It did however prevent further incidents.

OP, this may seem like an odd question, but does your child have any psychological condition or learning disability? I'm truly not being disrespectful or anything of that nature; there is a reason I'm asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back