under investigation for stealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahemslander

i asked my boss the other day when i was at work why i had been pulled off the register. the exact response was "i figured you'd ask me eventually. the district manager thinks someone is stealing from the store. we have to pull the cashiers with the most cancelled orders and the most till counts. you just happened to have the most. but your usually the closing cashier so it's understandable. im just doing what she is telling me too. 3 cashiers will be pulled off for a week at a time so we can investigate and see what happens. i don't think it is you i think it is the other girl (not giving names). i just have to do what the manager wants. if we don't figure out who it is i could lose my job and everyone will get fired and they will rehire all new people." I did not steal from this place. my life is just starting to back to normal i wouldn't risk this. I have the most cancelled orders simply because i am the closing cashier and the most observant one. i asked another manager what she thought and she said "ive been telling her it's the other girl (such and such no names) for months now." i have the most till counts because a manager that quit the day i got pulled off the register had my password and used it a few times. the day the manager told me all this she gave me her password that runs everything in the store. she even gave me more hours for next week. what should i do? should i ask about it again, leave it alone, worry about getting fired for something i didn't do or what i need advice.

Sometimes these investigations can take time. You are certainly within your rights to request to return to your normal duties.

However, your employer is likewise within their rights to say, No. Asking does not create a legal obligation on the part of the employer to comply.

Has anyone bothered to point out the fallacy of this reasoning? If there is a thief, they will likely stop stealing temporarily. Reviewing the cancelled sales and price overrides, should reveal if games are going on, unless the theft is due to items not being rung.

No its makes perfect sense. In retail theft or internal theft in this case there are several things that can and should be done. First thing is stop any further thefts! Second is to do exactly what is being done. Many retailers have devices that record all transactions with video. The investigating party links targeted transactions to the recorded video to see if everything matches what is documented in transaction. It can be time consuming (I know I have done this numerous times) but it often reveals the who what when where and why of theft. so far it appears the store is taking typical actions to reveal more about the thefts and stop further thefts

I always did it the low tech way. By reviewing register tapes manually and leaving all cashiers active, while alternating their coworkers. This did not clue them an investigation was actively going on.

CCTV or DVR recordings are linked to computer programs that link them to transactions so the Loss Prevention team can view the transaction while looking at the computer documentation of same transaction. The LP can then see if all items were scanned if they were bagged or any number of things. Waiting to actually catch a thief in action might mean more lose before caught. Stores have person who monitor all transactions for dote or District and any questionable transaction is documented and the LPM (Loss Prevention Manager) gets a email to look into these suspected transactions.

i understand how they can figure it out but until they do i don't know what I should do? any advice towards that?

I suggest, as a I do to all my clients, not to speak about this to anyone but your attorney.

Why?

This sums it up: You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can (and will) be used again st you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. This is very simple. Just keep your mouth shut, and your eyes and ears open. Don't be stupid. They'll do whatever they wish to do. Nothing you can say will change their minds or influence their decisions. Don't fall for Jedi mind tricks, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back