Can a 17 year old get married if she's pregnant without parental consent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMS2772

I have a close friend who is 17 and plans on getting married. She doesn't turn 18 for another year. Does she have to have parental permission to do so? The problem is that she doesn't have a father and lives with her grandmother (even though she doesn't have custody). Her mom has custody. Her mom doesn't want her getting married because it is an interracial relationship and she is against that, but she is 6 months pregnant and also has a 19 month old girl. Her boyfriend already has a good job lined up, graduates from college in a couple months, and wants to marry her and be a father. Her daughter was born with Situs Inversus (where all her organs are reversed) and two holes in her heart. Her grandmother said that if she moves out, then she is going to call CPS and fight for custody of the kids. Can she legally do that? The reason she wants custody and wants her to stay is because she collects welfare on both my friend and her child. Her grandmother doesn't give my friend the welfare for her child and uses it to buy cigarettes... so it's hard for her to pay for diapers and wipes and everything a toddler needs. She also wants to keep the kid is because she can get child's disability and bring in a ton of money every month.

Anyways, I know that she shouldn't have had kids super young (and it is her fault). She wants to get her GED but is having a lot of trouble doing so. Her mom was in prison for 8 years of her life and she had to live with her grandmother. Her grandmother never put her in school. She paid a teacher to come over to her house once a month and let her claim the children on her taxes illegally. That means that my friend doesn't know most of the things she needs to know to get her GED. Her boyfriend WILL have a college degree in a few months and can take care of her and these children.

Anyways, my questions are...
Can she move out and get married at 17 without parental consent?
Can her grandmother report her as a runaway?
Can her grandmother legally get custody of her children when she gets a check for being mentally unstable?

Oh, and to make it clear, the man she plans to marry is NOT the father to either one of these children.

I will not opine on your post, other than to advise you to read this:

Under 18:

You must be at least 16 years of age in order to obtain a license in Georgia. If you are 16 or 17 years of age, both parents and legal guardians must give their consent in person unless his/her rights have been terminated by an Order of a court.

Want to know more?

Here's a link:

http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/georgia/index.shtml

I don't think she can support HERSELF at this particular moment. Her boyfriend/fiance is willing to support her to get her out of the situation she is in. He loves her and her children and that is VERY rare, especially not being the father. From what I gather, she plans to be a stay-at-home mother. He does have a job- I don't think it's making very much right now though. He is graduating in a couple months though. So he will be getting a better job (I hope). It's mostly her choice, I'm just trying to help figure out if she can get married. I'm just going to call the courthouse for her on Monday to make sure. I don't want to trust a website.

She is going to file for welfare and have all that money for herself. You knew the answer.

She might, but I don't know if she is. I certainly hope not. I was more questioning about the marriage part. She loves this guy and wants to get away from her grandmother who does want all the money. So who knows, she probably does want to file for it and just isn't telling me. But if she does get married, then she isn't going to be eligible for everything she is getting now... because he has a job, right?

You seem to think he is going to jump into a 30k to 50k a year job. Not likely in most circumstances. He will probably refuse to marry her and let her collect welfare, food stamps and free insurance. He will likely bank his money, while explaining this is in her best interests. She will buy it. When he gets tired of her, he will move on to a childless woman, with marriage potential.

It is always possible for him to jump up there in pay if he gets a better job but you are right. That isn't always the case, especially in this economy. I don't know if he is going to refuse to marry her because he wants to get married now, but she is only 17. There is always a chance that he is going to use her and get rid of her though. I hope not! That is normally what happens though. :( And if she does get married to him, her marriage probably won't last. I explained that to her and she wants to go through with it anyway. You also make it seem like people who have children don't have marriage potential... A lot of them do, but not in all circumstances!

She will have 2 kids before becoming an adult or getting a high school education. She likely will not get her GED. Instead of focusing on building a solid foundation to finish her education and go to college, trying to provide a stable environment to raise the kids, she wants to run off and be a housewife. With the kids and no GED, someone to make sure the balance of the rent is paid will give her zero incentive to try an become a productive member of society. If her bf makes it, he will want a partner with potential, to build a life with. She has none. She and her kids are a drain on his earning capacity and potential to live a happy, productive, life.

Last edited:
I will not opine on your post, other than to advise you to read this:

Under 18:

You must be at least 16 years of age in order to obtain a license in Georgia. If you are 16 or 17 years of age, both parents and legal guardians must give their consent in person unless his/her rights have been terminated by an Order of a court.

Want to know more?

Here's a link:

http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/georgia/index.shtml

Please reread my post above.

There is no way, in your state, that anyone, not an adult (age 18 or older) can get married without thje consent of BOTH parents, and/or guardians!!!!!

Marriage for her ain't gonna happen until she is 18.

Please reread my post above.

There is no way, in your state, that anyone, not an adult (age 18 or older) can get married without thje consent of BOTH parents, and/or guardians!!!!!

Marriage for her ain't gonna happen until she is 18.

I obviously already figured that out. There is really no need to reiterate it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back