Breaking a Lease Breaking a lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppeacock2003

I am currently renting an apartment in Ga. The lease is for 1 yr. I never was given a copy of our lease when we moved in. I am needing to break my lease and move back home for financial reasons. I am concerned what is the worse that could happen to me. I cant get any answers from them because all they say is I signed a yr lease. HELP

I am currently renting an apartment in Ga. The lease is for 1 yr. I never was given a copy of our lease when we moved in. I am needing to break my lease and move back home for financial reasons. I am concerned what is the worse that could happen to me. I cant get any answers from them because all they say is I signed a yr lease. HELP

A lease can be broken if the landlord agrees to allow you to break the lease.

Landlords usually do this for a fee.

If they agree to the lease being broken, get the agreement as an addendum to the lease in writing, signed by all parties to the lease.

Before you do that, however, ask the landlord for a copy of the lease you are alleged to have signed.

Read the lease, as it might have provisions for breaking it.

You can just walk away form the lease.

If you do that, expect to lose your deposit at a minimum.

Some landlords will file suit against you for the balance of the lease, less what they can mitigate by finding a new tenant.

In this economy, you could get stuck with owing the remainder of the lease.

If you are sued, it will impact your credit.

However, if you move out of state, it'll be very hard for the landlord to collect on the judgment.

It is sometimes impossible.

But, you can expect negative report to show on your credit record.

You can also expect your ability to ever rent again to be severely impacted.

In fact, some people report never being able to rent after such an occurrence.

Your best course of action is to talk to your Landlord and arrange a deal (in writing) to end lease. Expect this to cost you some dough. Possibly 2 months rent and your security deposit. You signed a contract (lease) its binding unless you and other party (Landlord/Owner) agree to amend it and sign the proper documents to amend lease.

Make an effort to find a new tenant who is acceptable to the landlord and you just might find that you can walk away without it costing you a cent. Get on good terms with the landlord and make your financial crisis known, as well as your willingness to help prevent any loss due to your early departure. This might help to reduce the risk of the landlord trying to sue you, and it reduces the expenses you may owe as a result.
In the end, if you don't have the money and can't pay, there is nothing stopping you from simply leaving. The landlord might appreciate the opportunity to get a paying tenant in the home and not have to deal with weeks or months of an eviction process with a tenant unwilling or unable to pay.
Talk it over and work it out- but as said above, know that the landlord is not automatically entitles to the remainder of the year lease. The landlord is only owed what is lost until a new tenant takes over, and the landlord must make a reasonable effort to find a new tenant. It is in your best interest to assist and have a new tenant ready to go immediately on your departure. The landlord would of course have to approve of the tenant, but if the tenant was denied the landlord would have to account for this if he sues you, and as a result might lose his claim against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back